Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Default digi002R midi and Sibelius 5

Not sure the best forum for this. I have protools LE, digi002rack, external midi keyboard, and just purchased sibelius 5. Digi002R is connected via firewire to my dual-core Vaio PC.
I've contacted sibelius support, but they won't take ownership and point me at digi. Digi won't take ownership because I'm working with Sibelius. Interesting. (Avid - are you listening?)

I launch sibelius and it sees the midi port of the 002R. I can play the keyboard, and signals do propagate to sibelius, so I am getting sound through virtual instruments.

However when I record in sibelius in flextime, the latency is horrendous. I hear the metronome click in sibelius, I try to time my keyboad hits to the metronome, but the latency is so huge between my striking the keyboard, hearing the sounds through the monitors, and most important, all my input is delayed in the sibelius notation. At least 1/16 note even running at 120bpm metronome.

So my question is: in Sibelius, for live flextime recording via midi, should I be able to use my digi002R midi/firewire connection? Or should I abandon the digi002 and get a midi/USB cable and go direct from the keyboard to the PC? I don't understand why the latency is sooo.... long when I'm only using digi002R as a midi port device. Protools is not running (in fact it CAN'T run simultaneous with sibelius because it complains about conflicting ports.)

Can anyone help me? I need to create an orchestral arrangement and would prefer to use midi keyboard input rather than mouse/keyboard notation input.

I suppose I could record the midi in ProToolsLE, then export to sibelius, but would rather work natively with the notation. I don't particularly care about Kontakt player vs. protools plugins for sounds, though I do need my playback to replicate the orchestral instruments.

Thank you!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: digi002R midi and Sibelius 5

Have you tried the Sibelius Community - Tech Support chat page? Link

filosofem