Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2002, 11:05 PM

Default Haas Effect?

I was reading an interview recently where one of Alanis Morissette's engineer kept refering to the "Haas effect". That happens to be my last name. I would love to know what I did that would warrant a recording technique to be named after me... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I have searched through various books and sites and can not find an answer. if anybody knows, could you please fil me in. thanks
Old 06-18-2002, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Haas Effect?

The Haas effect can be used to overcome directional masking. Haas says that, in general, echoes occurring within approximately 40 milliseconds of the direct sound become fused with the direct sound. We say that the echo becomes "one" with the direct sound, and only a loudness enhancement occurs.
A very important corollary to the Haas effect says that fusion (and loudness enhancement) will occur even if the closely-timed echo comes from a different direction than the original source. However, the brain will continue to recognize (binaurally) the location of the original sound as the proper direction of the source. The Haas effect allows nearby echoes (up to approximately 40 ms. delay, typically 30 ms.) to enhance an original sound without confusing its directionality. We can take advantage of the Haas effect to naturally and effectively convert an existing 2-channel recording to a 4-channel or surround medium. When remixing, place a discrete delay in the surround speakers to enhance and extract the original ambience from a previously recorded source! No artificial reverberator is needed if there is sufficient reverberation in the original source. Here's how it works:
Because of the Haas effect, the ear fuses the delayed with the original sound, and still perceives the direct sound as coming from the front speakers. (http://www.digido.com/depthessay.html)
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2002, 11:14 PM

The more commonly known usage of the term is in audio (vs. the food) and pertains to the psychoacoustic phenomenon of sound source localization.
If a sound source is presented to our ears at the same level, but one arrives just a few milliseconds later, our hearing mechanism will judge the sound to be coming from the side of the head where the earliest sound arrived.
How far to one side or the other depends on the difference in time between the sound arriving at each ear.
This is true for arriving sounds up to about 25 milliseconds of delay, after which it will begin to sound like two distinct sounds.

This phenomenon is used in all kinds of audio production techniques to help position various instruments around the stereo (or three-dimensional) soundfield without creating imbalances in the levels of the left versus right signals.

The effect is also called the precedence effect and means that if there are two sources of sound, as is often the case with PA systems or studio monitoring systems, the sound will be localized to the speaker that provides the earliest sound. The other speaker will not be heard at all it some cases.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:33 PM

The Haas Effect is a psychoascoustic phenomenon. It is known to supress our perception of early reflections in a room (within rougly 50 milliseconds of the direct sound) by as much as 8 to 12 dB. Depending on how late they arrive of course.The Haas effect is also known as precedence.

It applies equally to multiple sound sources in a room.

For example,lets say we have two speakers, playing the same exact sound. One of the speakers is delayed on purpose by as much as 50 milliseconds. This delayed speaker is also 8 - 12 dB louder than the non-delayed speaker. You would think we would perceive the sound as coming from the louder, delayed speaker, but we don't! We perceive the sound as coming from the non-delayed speaker! Pretty cool I think!

I suppose you could test this in LE. Make 2 tracks with the same sound, hard pan left and right, and delay one of them slightly. I haven't tried this but I think I will now and see if i can hear this precedence effect.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:52 PM

Ya we already said that... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
It also refers to the fact that dogs LOVE avocados and have been known to obtain drivers licences for the purposes of driving to grocery stores to buy them.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:04 AM

An example of this effect is the extra level required on the delay side of a track that has been "mono panned". The late side has to be louder before your brain thinks it is hearing stereo.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:45 AM

"psychoacoustic phenomenom" sounds like it should mean, "an insane occurrence having to do with sound"... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 02:40 AM

"psychoaccoustic phenomenom" sounds like it should mean, an insane occurance having to do with my brain right about now"... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 08:15 AM

Didn't see the earlier posts....my bad

Yes avocados i just love avocados...

But could anyone drive to da store and get me some cause my license is expired. And the city of chicago took my car for unpaid tickets. Should have paid em i guess.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:45 AM

Another thing about the Haas effect is that it stops working above 10k or so.