Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Anyone wanna buy Pink Floyds TG12345 Mixer

This is not a generalization of course but I've met a few people who collect this expensive stuff and they don't make much music after all, most of their time is spent talking about how good it will sound.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
This is not a generalization of course but I've met a few people who collect this expensive stuff and they don't make much music after all, most of their time is spent talking about how good it will sound.
Case in point - when Eric Clapton sold off Blackie (along with a bunch of his other guitars) to raise funds for Crossroads you know who got it? Not a player - Guitar Center. So it'll sit in a case somewheres and never be played again.

QAPLA!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No argument there my friend.

I have to wonder though: why are these historic consoles up for sale? Once sold to someone else who's to guarantee they'll continue to live on? Reminds me of the justification the BBC gave for why we don't have the original tapes of some of the early Doctor Who programs. They found out you could reuse video tape and recorded over them. The only reason we even have some of the early Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee programs is some kind person had them recorded somehow. Let's hope the console goes to someone who cares for it.

I think, in fairness to the BBC, those early video tapes were insanely expensive - the Beeb has always wrestled with the dilemma that it's publicly funded, so really can't afford to be frivolous - and there just wasn't a culture of preserving entertainment for future generations, as it didn't have any perceived cultural value, just wipe the tapes and use them for the next show, and give the DG one less thing to worry about when justifying the license fee.

A lot of beloved shows lost episodes, and entire series this way (Dr Who, Dad's Army, Not Only But Also), but thankfully some rebellious souls at Auntie realised the value these shows had, and stole the tapes for things like The Magic Roundabout, and hid them in ceiling cavities in BBC offices, sometimes for decades, until they got rediscovered in more enlightened times.

As for these old desks, it is a shame, maybe even a crime, that they in danger of either getting broken up and sold piecemeal, or becoming museum pieces. It would be nice to think they find a good home, where they get used as originally intended.

Dave Grohl obviously had a close personal connection with Sound City (although given how important the live room was to the drum sound, more than the desk, I hope he took impulse recording of the space), but his type of "Rock Star" is somewhat anachronistic - the majority of modern artists who are approaching (or even eclipsing) his status have little, or no experience working in an analogue environment, and are mostly solo artists anyway - or not a band in the traditional sense - so the concept of everyone being up on the desk is meaningless.

They have no sense of nostalgia for it, and it would be unappealing, and impractical to own such a behemoth.

I was in Abbey Road one morning, when Kanye had flown in with his laptop. He'd finished his album on the laptop (in Logic) and wanted to record the mix to tape.

No point owning all that gear, if you are in a position to be able to fly round the world to use a tape deck, just for the "prestige" of it being recorded at Abbey Road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
No point owning all that gear, if you are in a position to be able to fly round the world to use a tape deck, just for the "prestige" of it being recorded at Abbey Road.
And why wouldn't you? Flying to London is cheap, it is the center of the universe for God's sake ;D
Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
, it is the center of the universe for God's sake ;D

Bahahahahah, maybe 200 years ago.....

Sorry Raoul23
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Bahahahahah, maybe 200 years ago.....

Sorry Raoul23
Are you thinking Washington DC is the center of the universe now? Umm... I don't mean to drift this thread too much off-topick :)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Hi,

Not this one its being sold by Mike Hedges! think you'll find he's made a few great records

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Not this one its being sold by Mike Hedges! think you'll find he's made a few great records

Chris
Wait until he sells
Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 AM

sold for $1.5mil. plus 25% commission.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
sold for $1.5mil. plus 25% commission.
Any idea who purchased it?

QAPLA!