Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Any way to slow down audio playback?

Hello and thanks in advance. Can anyone tell me

1) if it is possible to slow down audio playback and

2) exactly how to do it (without changing pitch).

I am running LE 6.1 on Mac OS X 10.2.4.

Again, thanks and have a great new year! Much obliged!
Old 12-28-2004, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Any way to slow down audio playback?

shift/spacebar will give half speed playback. If you want to playback without changing pitch, best thingis Serato "Pitch 'n Time"-not cheap but is just about the best available -I use it loads, on solo piano to orchestra-amazing.

For really short /small amounts, the Digi TimeExpand Compress plug in is OK, but only for very small amounts of shift- like expanding a drum loop to fit 2 or 4 bars etc.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 12-28-2004, 05:35 AM

Thanks Kite for your quick reply! Serato "Pitch 'n Time" looks waycool. Unfortunately it would appear to be overkill for my current situation. Are we saying the digi time exander doesn't do anything like that?

I guess what has me wondering is how exactly does the digi time expander work? Is it for MIDI only? No matter what I do, the play back speed stays the same, i.e. it does not appear to have any effect whatsoever (on audio files). I must be doing something fundamentally wrong. I have the same issue with the digi pitch adjuster.

Also, why is the time expander only good for a couple of bars? Again my real issue is I can't make it work 'no how'.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:44 AM

if you use it as audiosuite you have to tell where to begin and where to end.
butthe trimmer button have a this option but as kite told ya is for very minimal adjusting,
well i'm not sure if this feature is in 6.1 (i went from5.x to 6.2)
cheers
Old 12-28-2004, 07:39 AM

go to google and type in " the amazing slowdowner". 40 bucks or so. fantastic. I use it a lot.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:10 AM

Hi Nueme,
Digi time expand is only really good for short sections, because the sound quality is pretty terrible on longer sections -sound artefacts, phasing, chipmunk effect ! - that's why !!

If you look in Preferences, you can assign a default plug-in to the "Trimmer" tool, and when you select that, and drag out (extend) a Region selection in the edit window, it will expand or shrink accordingly (if you are in "Grid" mode it will trim/expand to the Grid selection) ie bars/or sub-divisions of bars, dependent on your grid.

As already mentioned, if you select "Audiosuite" mode, you must first select a section of audio, and then apply the Digi Time expand to the selected audio, plus, make sure you have "Use in Playlist" selected, otherwise you will not see the results of your processing - it will be hiding in your "Regions List" instead !!!

All a bit tricky to explain in words, but pretty straightforward in use -just muck about a bit with some trial bits of audio, and it will soon make sense- what can go wrong !!!???!!!

Just experiment!- Good luck-
PS Speed by Wave Mechanics (I think) is also an option, but still not cheap.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 12-28-2004, 04:23 PM

Thanks. Good stuff. You guys have been a great help. I do appreciate your taking the time.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:54 PM

Serato is the Bollocks! Money very well spent. but know this... you will ALWAYS hear the difference beyond 8/9/10...% on any timestretcher (and that depends on your ears!)
Old 01-07-2005, 09:41 AM

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Haven't tried it yet, but got the tip on another site in resoponse to somebody else trying to do the same thing. Looks cool and best of all it's FREE!

Nue