Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-19-2010, 09:26 AM

Default Black Lion PM-8 Summing Mixer

I recently won a contest through Front End Audio for a Black Lion Summing Mixer, which I'm really excited about. I have been following the whole ITB OTB mixing thing for quite some time. Now I am ready to judge for myself. I am a big fan of analog distortion, so I have some idea of which camp I may gravitate towards. Anyway, the problem I am having is how to configure my LE system so that I can monitor the mix that is coming back into PT. I have my speakers set up out of the summing mixer, but I want to monitor the mix out of PT especially after recording. The problem is I am using all 8 individual outs out of the DIGI 002. So here is my setup: I have 4 stereo stems. 1 for Drums, 1 for Guitars, 1 for Bass/Keys 1 for Vocals etc.... I have these going out into the BL. Then I have them returning via my Mytek A/D converter into a SPDIF stereo track. I am monitoring this from the BL itself, as it has three stereo outs in the back. This is all well in good. Until I get it back into PT, then I have to reconfigure everything, unplug the speakers, plug them back into the 002. It's a real pain!!! There has to be a better way. The problem is all my outs are accounted for. So the monitor mix is tracks 1 an 2(Drums). Would getting a D/A converter solve this? I suppose it would, because it would give me another way to get out of the 002? Just wondering what people thought of this?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Black Lion PM-8 Summing Mixer

A d/a converter would be the easiest way to solve this. But depending on what d/a converter you get, you would then have to get some kind of monitor controller.

You could look at the Presonus Central Station, which has a d/a converter and monitor controller built in.

You could also check out the Dangerous Dbox, which is more expensive, but solves all your problems in one shot (summing, d/a, and monitor control). If you did this you might as well just sell the BLA summing mixer.

Another option would be to get an 8 channel d/a converter that uses adat (again, maybe something by Presonus, Focusrite, etc.), and use that for your summing outputs, which then frees up the 002's analog outs for monitoring.