Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-19-2001, 09:42 PM

Default digi001 hardware w/ logic 4.5

is there a way to use your digi001 interface to get audio into logic 4.5.i dont recognize any of the options in the audio hardware driver page.
Old 04-20-2001, 04:00 PM

Default Re: digi001 hardware w/ logic 4.5

You can run your 001 within Logic seamlessly using the Direct I/O audio hardware and drivers option found under the "Audio" menu in Logic.

------------------
Eli Krantzberg
Nightshift orchestra
Almat Productions
Old 04-20-2001, 08:42 PM

What does this actually allow you to do? Are you sequencing with Logic, but still using the audio from 001?

Which would you be using to edit your audio/MIDI?
Old 04-21-2001, 12:28 AM

Yes you can, down load direct connect 5.1. There was a bug the Digi fixed. On the hardware driver page it says Direct connect, or D/I. You can even run OMS. If you want to run OMS you have to go to the Digi download page and get a few updated drivers. They will be under Pro Tools.

Toecat
Old 04-21-2001, 03:44 AM

When you select D/I in the Logic preferences menue (like Ive done in my version of Logic Silver!), then you are able to record audio via the 001 interface into Logic audio. Yes you can run both programs together using Midi Time Code and you can also sequence your midi stuff in Logic and save it as a midi file to import into pro tools LE if you like the midid side of logic better and vice versa. Ive not done any audio recording in logic yet but I will give it a go soon- as far as Im concerned Pro Tools LE looks much better for doing audio than logic (putting it very basically and IMHO!) but then each person is different. Logic is definetly better than LE for midi though. So with both these programs you get the best of both worlds as far as I am concerned!!!!! Good Luck
Old 04-21-2001, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slovenec:
When you select D/I in the Logic preferences menue (like Ive done in my version of Logic Silver!), then you are able to record audio via the 001 interface into Logic audio...
What is the advantage of recording audio into Logic? more tracks? is the 001 being used strictly as an audio interface?

I understand MIDI is bettter in Logic, but I'm trying to get why audio, too, would be recorded into it.
Old 04-22-2001, 12:47 AM

It all comes down to preference- what software you enjoy using the most. You can use both Logic and Protools LE for recording audio but they take very different approaches with regards to their user interface and it's generally accepted that the Protools software has the edge as far as ease and power of audio editing goes (although Logic is very powerful also you have to open up multiple windows to achieve what you can do in only 2 main windows in Protools LE!!).

Yes try both systems and you may find that you'll use Logic for everything or alternatively you may find that you prefer Protools LE or 3rdly a combination of both platforms! It really doesn't matter provided your end result of recording great music is achieved and you feel comfortable with your working enviroment!

Logic Platinum and Gold definetly have the edge in the variety of plug ins they have included but whether you need all those plug ins is another story- I love them!!!!

Protools has a much basic palette of plug in types but nonetheless they are very useful and cover all the bases. However you can't use RTAS plug ins in Logic nor can you use Logics native plug ins or VST plug ins in Protools LE! As far as Im concerned this sucks big time but what do you expect- all these companies are after our money aren't they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for me Im using both platforms for my music and will eventually upgrade to Logic Audio Gold when I can afford it (because I don't require all the TDM and surround features of Platinum).

SO there is no 'better' system for recording! Go by what you like the best and what makes you produce the best music you can- afterall making good music is what all this technology and gear is all about isn't it!!!!!
Old 04-22-2001, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by naman:
What is the advantage of recording audio into Logic? more tracks? is the 001 being used strictly as an audio interface?

I understand MIDI is bettter in Logic, but I'm trying to get why audio, too, would be recorded into it.
Logic allows up to 128 tracks of 24-bit audio simultaneous with unlimited MIDI tracks. The audio tracks can also be SDII interleaved (now allowing up to 256 audio sources), which means one mixer strip can control both L and R of a stereo source using single stereo plug-ins and send/returns, and recording a stereo instrument produces one data file rather than both an L file and an R file. This is a very efficient and elegant way of handling stereo sources, which includes virtually every keyboard, module, and sampler available. Interleaved tracks also use about 75% of the CPU and disk overhead as an equivalent pair of split tracks, and you can drop SDII mixdown files directly into Toast to represent individual songs for creating red book CD's with no additional conversion hassle.

Logic can also run simultaneous interfaces from different vendors and integrate 24 bit, 16 bit, split, interleaved, and MIDI tracks in the same project, as well as within the same virtual mixer.

Logic also supports multiple processors and Altivec, so on the proper hardware it runs many more simultaneous tracks and plugins than sequencers without such support might be capable of.

In my case, the 001 is exactly that...strictly an interface.