Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 09-10-2018, 01:02 PM

Default Let’s open the Thunderbolt can of worms again!

Okay, starting over. Call it a “hard restart.” After much research and head-scratching, it looks like the best option for me to get thunderbolt on Windows is to swap out my ASUS x99 mobo for a Gigabyte x99 mobo with integrated TB. So, the primary question is, is anybody here running a Gigabyte x99p-sli rev 1.0 motherboard and having success? Side note..Gigabyte has discontinued it, but refurbs are available. Then all the stuff on my ASUS mobo should swap over, and I won’t have to reload Windows. Pondering, because I REALLY want to go the UA Apollo 8 route.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Let’s open the Thunderbolt can of worms again!

Take a look at the UA Thunderbolt Windows Compatibility page.

I believe that each motherboard manufacturer provides their own TB firmware. So boards by different manufacturers, using the same chipset, could have different behavior.

System Details
Old 09-11-2018, 09:26 AM

I have a few X99 SLi cards from reputable dealers here in Stockholm that I could get for you, brand new and the usual warranty worldwide from Gigabyte. it would be around 320 USD incl shipping which insured is around 35-40 dollars in todays exchange rate.

Let me know if you can't find what you want and i will ship one to you asap. Takes 3-5 biz days according to UPS and DHL.

I will gladly help you out so let me know what you need

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-11-2018, 12:24 PM

I’ve narrowed it down to that particular board, because the processor and RAM on my current ASUS board should (?) swap right in, and since it’s the same chipset, I can save myself the mess of reloading Windows and all my programs and plugins. Not very many choices with these parameters. Actually, as near as I can figure, just ONE choice! If I’m willing to trust a factory refurb.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:39 PM

By the way, Southside, thank you for your very kind offer. I’ve found refurbs on both Amazon and Newegg, and they both have a pretty generous return policy. But a new one is clearly not in the cards, as Gigabyte informed me that they were indeed discontinued. I think they’re finished paying attention to X99 chipsets.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
By the way, Southside, thank you for your very kind offer. I’ve found refurbs on both Amazon and Newegg, and they both have a pretty generous return policy. But a new one is clearly not in the cards, as Gigabyte informed me that they were indeed discontinued. I think they’re finished paying attention to X99 chipsets.
No worries

Just here if you need help with that board. Best of luck and I hope you get the computer going with TB asap. Apollo interfaces are what we use 99% of the time and I just got two of the new Apollo X8 but they won't work until Q4 when the drivers come out (which I totally missed)

We traded in two of our Black face Apollo 8 Quads for these new shiny X8 but atleast they are great to look at We still have two Apollo left here both Black face, one 16 and one 8P so we can work until the drivers released.

This is only for the Trashcans and of course thats what we have. 2 if them hehe

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 PM

Update! I sourced a Gigabyte x99 Designar motherboard and a Samsung m.2 970 SSD....swapped my processor & ram over, fired it up, boom! Everything worked out of the gate, with one little hurdle. You have to get the Gigabyte Thunderbolt “flasher” utility and run it for thunderbolt to initialize. Apollo 8 TB is working great......I had to fiddle around with the i/o routing for an eternity, but we’re up and running! Never mind that it’s almost 1:00 AM here. Who needs sleep when you’re making this kind of progress?

Last edited by sw rec; 01-31-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:19 AM

Great news

Thanks for the update! You are gonna LOVE the Apollo quality and tracking with their superb unison plugins.

The only drawback will be the money spend on the UAD-2 plugins as you will feel like a druggie after each demo and almost sell your soul to get money for them hehe

All in Good Fun Though.

Keep us updated will ya.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-31-2019, 05:08 AM
Universal Audio

Awesome news!!

Thanks for the update and enjoy!