How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Can't Uninstall Pro Tools 9!

Hey all,

I just got PT10. It won't let me install it until I take PT9 off of my computer. (this is not an upgrade), I was given the full version.

When I attempt to uninstall PT9 on my Windows 7 PC, this happens:

An error (5005: 0x80070002) has occurred while running the setup.

What is the problem here? I have restarted my computer countless times, but it keeps coming up. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Can't Uninstall Pro Tools 9!

Not sure, but don't give up just yet. Do you have 9 installed completely(IOW, you can open Pro Tools 9)? If yes, that's good. How are you attempting to uninstall? With the PT9 installer or by going to Start>Control Panel>Uninstall a program? Using the Windows method, when you see the list of programs, right-click on Avid Pro Tools and select uninstall(if uninstall is not an option, select CHANGE). In the next windows, you should find some options. REMOVE would be the choice(out of repair, change, modify, or whatever), and, here's the important part, remove the HD Driver too(this is a must).

If all this fails, you can try deleting all the Avid and Digidesign folders and run a registry cleaner(sort of a last resort). Other options: restore from a drive image(if you don't know what this is, go buy Acronis True Image and thank me later), or reformat the system drive and start fresh(a lot more work, but sometimes the best choice anyway)

For future issues, be prepared to post a Sandra report as described in this link: Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
After spending enough time on the DUC, you will see this and its importance

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Can't Uninstall Pro Tools 9!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not sure, but don't give up just yet. Do you have 9 installed completely(IOW, you can open Pro Tools 9)? If yes, that's good. How are you attempting to uninstall? With the PT9 installer or by going to Start>Control Panel>Uninstall a program? Using the Windows method, when you see the list of programs, right-click on Avid Pro Tools and select uninstall(if uninstall is not an option, select CHANGE). In the next windows, you should find some options. REMOVE would be the choice(out of repair, change, modify, or whatever), and, here's the important part, remove the HD Driver too(this is a must).

If all this fails, you can try deleting all the Avid and Digidesign folders and run a registry cleaner(sort of a last resort). Other options: restore from a drive image(if you don't know what this is, go buy Acronis True Image and thank me later), or reformat the system drive and start fresh(a lot more work, but sometimes the best choice anyway)

For future issues, be prepared to post a Sandra report as described in this link: Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
After spending enough time on the DUC, you will see this and its importance

Yeah, the way you descirbed is exactly how I'm trying to uninstall PT9, but it gives me this error, saying i must first close all other applications. I did! I restarted my computer, and it still will not work.

I have never been able to fully open PT9 either. could you maybe explain more on running the registry cleaner?