Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2020, 01:13 AM

Default New Mac Pro setup with OWC Ram and Accelsior SSD with New Mac Pro

HI Guys

Heard some conflicting comments, but I cant justify paying Apple Prices for Ram and SSD. Is the OWC stuff good, reliable and properly compatible? I mainly do Post production 80%, Music composition 15% and 5% music production ( ecording mixing and producing albums)

My plan, after some research is and questions posed here. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated as this is quite a big investment. I usually do a big upgrade every 6-7 years. Last was the trashcan mac with a million breakout boxes and drives. So excited to have an All-In-one system again.

- NMP 16 core Base model but 1 or 2 TB internal Apple SSD for system files, apps documents and stuff

- 192 OWC Ram

- 2 x 8Tb OWC PCI-E Accelsior SSD Partitioned (Can it be partitioned as below, struggling to find info regarding this? )
-- 4TB Audio drive
-- 4TB Video drive
-- 6TB VI Samples drive
-- 2TB SFX/Loops/Midi drive

- Promise Pegasus J2i 8TB With Additional 8TB so 16Tb Partitioned as below

-- 8TB Daily Backup drive (I always make daily duplicates of the days work)

-- 8TB Production Music drive (Offline when not connected to internet)

- Black Magic 4k Decklink mini monitor 4K Handeling Video playback out protools

I currently have a HDX 1 setup, and considering getting another HDX card. Im sure theres space inside the Mac? If I add the second HDX card I would need 5 x PCIE slots. ( the standard apple Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory display card i presume is 16 x full length?)

So thats 6 x PCIE Slots all together as the Promise pegasus is not PCIE

The OWC SSD and BM Decklink card are all half length 8x and the HDX is Full Length 16x

- So The HDX x 2

I'll retain my 2 x 32 TB external Raid Deep Archive drives where I archive all my work, duplicated.

What do you guys think? I considered the 24 Core machine, but for Audio and especially ProTools, its seems like the 16 core runs better with the higher core speed vs the higher core count? Some seem to agree and some not?

I dont know if the $4000 jump from 16 core to 24 core would be felt in real life, maybe someone could comment if it does, any 24 core and 16 core users out there?

This machine and setup is going to have to last and perform for the next 7-ish years....

Thanks
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com