How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Default AVID: IDEA for PT9 "FREEZE TRACKS"

Avid...

Would it be too hard to implement something like this...

Basically, each Instrument or Audio Track has the option (in the drop-down menu) to create a "Freeze track", that appears nested below the main track as a playlist would in the "playlist" view (Similar to a 'create new playlist' option). The Freeze track/playlist would have a REC / PLAY / OFF switch, allowing you to internally bus (Without having to manually set Bus I/O's) from the "main" playlist to the "Freeze" playlist your audio including VI's/Plugins/Hardware inserts, and then automatically switches to PLAY mode once you have bounced to the Freeze track. PLAY mode would Automatically de-activate the plugins on the Main track, so you know that you are not listening to the plugins etc, and saving on DSP or allowing hardware inserts to be used on other tracks.

Then you could have an option in the drop-down menu for each track to "Consolidate Freeze track to Main Playlist" or something like that, which would move the "Freeze" playlist to the main playlist and delete the "freeze" track. You could even have a "Consolidate ALL Freeze tracks" option to convert all "freeze" playlists to the main playlist.

???
Old 11-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Default Re: AVID: IDEA for PT9 "FREEZE TRACKS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyssl View Post
Would it be too hard to implement something like this...
Probably about as hard as doing a search.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:30 PM

1) Select Track and Select Audio
2) Solo Track
3) BTD Select Auto Import
4) Pro tools bounces files Protools will do the following Automatically you don't have to do a thing Import/ Auto Creates Track/ Auto places audio file on selection.
5) Right Click Deactivate and Hide bounced track

It's too easy and simple ...
I have even created a Macro in Quick Keys it does it so easy if you want save a few mouse clicks.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
2) Solo Track
4) Pro tools bounces files Protools will do the following Automatically you don't have to do a thing Import/ Auto Creates Track/ Auto places audio file on selection.

I have even created a Macro in Quick Keys it does it so easy if you want save a few mouse clicks.
Or, in PT9, set output to New audio track and mute original, record enable new track, record and deactivate/hide original. Can be done for several tracks at once of course. But still, it has to be done in real time..
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
2) Solo Track

Are you kidding?? A 5 step process is not exactly "too easy and simple". It is so annoying have a mess of deactivated tracks all through your session just because they can't implement a freeze tracks option. Not to mention the fact that if you want to make an edit to the original, you have reverse the 5-step procedure, make your change, and then do the 5 steps again! Tedious....

Avid have got to come up with a better way of doing it than "workarounds" like this. I'm just trying to give some suggestions that hopefully might get considered.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:29 PM

I just want to add how I vigorously agree with ilovemyssl. I've been using Ableton Live, Logic, and Reaper for several years and have never had much experience with PT until I bought a digi 003+ last week.

People have always told me how amazing PT was and how I was going to be blown away when I made the change and I gotta say I'm horribly disappointed. The only reason I have even thought about using PT was because our producer said we had to if we wanted him to mix it...

So freeze has always been a mandatory part of my recording setup. I mean if I record six guitar parts using a VST to emulate amps there's no way I'm going to be able to just let the VST be free. The system gets horribly bogged down. I was amazed... AMAZED that PT didn't have a freeze. I mean how hard can it be to include this feature when a program that costs 40 bucks (Reaper) has it?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:57 PM

I think when you get deep into it you are still using more of a tape recorder when you use protools. Im not saying thats what it is but it feels like it to me. Logic and some of the other production programs are a bit more well rounded with features. Especially when it comes to VI's and such. I actually prefer to use logic but my clients bring pro tools sessions to me so I work in protools the majority of the time.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandifer View Post
I think when you get deep into it you are still using more of a tape recorder when you use protools.
Oh, the power of simplicity. Isn't it beautiful!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyssl View Post
Are you kidding?? A 5 step process is not exactly "too easy and simple". It is so annoying have a mess of deactivated tracks all through your session just because they can't implement a freeze tracks option. Not to mention the fact that if you want to make an edit to the original, you have reverse the 5-step procedure, make your change, and then do the 5 steps again! Tedious....

Avid have got to come up with a better way of doing it than "workarounds" like this. I'm just trying to give some suggestions that hopefully might get considered.
It's not tedious on a Icon it done is seconds
Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Just one of the many ways in which PT makes me feel like it's still the 1990s.

My continuing relationship with PT: love/hate