Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-08-2020, 05:09 PM

Default Any way to connect Quantum 4848 to Accel rig?

Hey,

The quantum 4848 has my attention for quantity of channels. Unfortunately there are only thunderbolts and 16 ADAT channels.

Is there a way to utilize all 32 IO with a TDM HD Accel setup? I am assuming 16 can go ADAT into a 192, but how about the remaining 16 channels?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Any way to connect Quantum 4848 to Accel rig?

what are you trying to add exactly? But regardless, this is just the wrong approach, esp. if you just want to add more line level inputs you should do that by buying a One or more HD IO or 192 boxes, available used at pretty low cost.

You cannot mix DigiLink and non DigiLink interfaces with PT Ultimate. You can chain in additional digital signals via ADAT or AES/EBU but why bother... a HD IO will work *great* and work just how your other DigiLink boxes today.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:03 PM

The used price of Avid IO is double the quantum for channel count. Still on PT10HD here for a long time, need more IO since I just got a mixing desk. Right now I have the Symphony and 8 channels of 192 IO, those converters I do not quite like as much as the symphony so I'm trying to find the balance between budget and sound quality. If there is someone selling an Avid HDIO 16X16 analog, I'd be able to pay 1150$.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:11 PM

And a pack of chewing gum would be cheaper as well and about as relevant. :-(

You really should be thinking about the total system configuration and what you need. If you are going to all the trouble of mixing in an analog console and not ITB I would hope you have a fairly high-end $$ console and the analog interface costs to go with that would often not be a huge issue.

Again the basic limits that you need to worry about have not changed in a long time:

For more than 32x32 IO you need Pro Tools Ultimate with a DigiLink interfaces

You cannot combine via software or aggregate DigiLink interfaces with non-DigiLink interfaces.

You can connect outboard interfaces/preamps via ADAT/SMUX, S/PDIF, AES/EBU etc. to a DigiLink inerface.

If you need more than 32x32 input or output you are stuck in DigiLink land. Choices are Avid's 96 IO, 192 IO, HD IO or upgrading to a new much more $$$ MTRX, or adding more Symphony cards or chassis, or other third party DigiLink interfaces. I'd try very much to stick to all one interface vendor, including for identical latency and ease of configuration.

Is your Symphony maxed out with two 16x16 analog cards? Is it an original or Mk II? I'd hope you could pick up a 16x16 card used or just buy another Symphony chassis with cards in it. I see occasional first gen used boxes for sale more than used Mk II.

Also not clear how many HD TDM cards you have, remember 32 IO max on a single DigiLink TDM card port. Do you have enough TDM voices and DSP to deal with all these extra tracks and mixing OTB?

---

I'm guessing you really want to keep the TDM system for low-latency tracking. If that was not a factor and this was mine I'd probably try to get to a more modern system and be getting off HD/TDM and onto Native and mixing ITB with the 64 float mixer, maybe saving money by selling off HD/Ultimate and selling some of the gear. Possibly saving up money for control surfaces.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-09-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:08 AM

you can use it but than you should select the I/O in your hardware which means you loose all the advantages of your ProTools TDM system. (low latency, enabling realtime effects, etc...)

One way to do this is to enable the Thunderbolt card, record all your tracks, return to the TDM hardware setup (lossing the outputs/inputs on the thunderbolt card) and start mixing.

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE