Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: audiosuite handles?

Yes. Thanks!
Washington, DC 20036
Old 04-27-2007, 08:30 PM

Handles.

PUH-LEEEZZZ make it so.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Can I vote 8 times? (once for every year I could have used this feature...?)
Oh jeez, who let the kids in here?
Old 04-28-2007, 07:30 AM

HANDLES. I'll ask for the feature again, as I have for years.

Please.

j mcd
Old 04-28-2007, 08:58 AM

Big Yes Vote!

But I can't agree with the reversible Clip FX, unless they are done much better than what is out there -
Plus PT already has this sort of. Gain? all the gain (other than the AS is non destructive, don't see the point there. EQ, if you have AS set to make new files rather than overwrite, is always un doable by replacing the region with the one from before. I would go whole hog for a tracking in PT that kept a link to prior versions of the region, sort of like multiple takes. That may already exist? but it would be an "undo" with out all the tracking issues I've seen with other "nondestructive" methods.

Quote:
Quote:

Keep up with the voting though, that's how it gets bumped up in priority. And yes, there are many Digidesign eyes on all of these posts so it does help.

Jon, as long as you're encouraging voting, here's another vote for handles with audiosuite operations. (Along with non-destructive, clip-based EQ & gain.)

No rush...anytime before the end of the month is fine.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
But I can't agree with the reversible Clip FX, unless they are done much better than what is out there - and even then I'm skeptical. I've been working a bunch with STP and this feature can be a huge nightmare. On scenario, you do your super sweet eq for clip X. A month later you use clip X in another project. It still has your EQ from before but it doesn't work well here so you change it, oops you just changed the EQ on the other project also. The only way around this is to constantly make new clips and well then you break the undo...
Plus PT already has this sort of. Gain? all the gain (other than the AS is non destructive, don't see the point there. EQ, if you have AS set to make new files rather than overwrite, is always un doable by replacing the region with the one from before.
I just don't understand these fears. I guess if you've never seen such features implemented correctly, it's hard to appreciate their value. Like JanuS, I also usually just steer clear of Audiosuite operations, because they create more problems than they solve. Pro Tools is still primitive in this area.

I'm strictly speaking of clip-based gain & EQ, which absolutely are destructive. You're really satisfied with the ability to "undo" everything by dragging the original clip back in the timeline? EQ, gain and fades should not be merely "undoable" by some workaround, they should be infinitely tweakable at any time without going back to square one or having to render and commit to all other changes. If they could do this flawlessly in Audiovision fifteen years ago, with fifteen year old computers and hardware, it should be easy now. I suspect it would require some major overhauling of legacy PT code and methodology, or we'd have it already. Sooner or later though, they're going to have to modernize.

For gain, Nuendo style handles for levels and fades would be great. Even the old AV way (selecting a region and entering a +/- gain change value) would be a huge step forward.

When a Digidesign rep pops up here and graciously solicits our requests, it's our duty to speak up. They don't know what we need and value unless we tell them. Just because STP doesn't do these things right doesn't mean they aren't possible or desirable. Set your standards a little higher, and keep voting!
Old 04-28-2007, 03:15 PM

Well then you haven't had it happen to you or you would. I have no problem speaking up for changes I want to see and I'm not saying you shouldn't either. I don't have a problem with how the gain and EQ work right now and I have seen how ugly it can be to have poorly thought out features that have a bad impact on workflow, so I'm voting for what I want which is not to break a solid workflow. Personally I'm in favor of people having to make decisions, so infinite undo-ability has never been high on my wish list. But correctly implemented I could see it might be useful, but it's still not high on my list. AS handles are however a solid positive and are high on my list.

Also I have used quite a few different DAW's and go back tape and mag so this isn't a quickie inexperienced opinion. But it is just an opinion.
THere are quite a few things about Audio Vision that I would like to see in PT before undoable AS EQ but that's just me.

To add more votes
BINS. Preferably bins that would work with soundminner so now with V4 and the ability to keep folder structure intact I could move the entire folder structure in to PT bins.

But I would again be disagreeing with you on the Nuendo handles, having use them I prefer PT's method.

But I will vote with you on the +/- clip level, if it worked as a trim.

Quote:
I just don't understand these fears. I guess if you've never seen such features implemented correctly, it's hard to appreciate their value. Like JanuS, I also usually just steer clear of Audiosuite operations, because they create more problems than they solve. Pro Tools is still primitive in this area.

I'm strictly speaking of clip-based gain & EQ, which absolutely are destructive. You're really satisifed with the ability to "undo" everything by dragging the original clip back in the timeline? EQ, gain and fades should not be merely "undoable" by some workaround, they should be infinitely tweakable at any time without going back to square one or having to render and commit to all other changes. If they could do this flawlessly in Audiovision fifteen years ago, with fifteen year old computers and hardware, it should be easy now. I suspect it would require some major overhauling of legacy PT code and methodology, or we'd have it already. Sooner or later though, they're going to have to modernize.

For gain, Nuendo style handles for levels and fades would be great. Even the old AV way (selecting a region and entering a +/- gain change value) would be a huge step forward.

When a Digidesign rep pops up here and graciously solicits our requests, it's our duty to speak up. They don't know what we need and value unless we tell them. Just because STP doesn't do these things right doesn't mean they aren't possible or desirable. Set your standards a little higher, and keep voting!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:49 PM

a "yes please" for audiosuite handles.
IMDB Credits
Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 AM

yes.
B
Old 05-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Count me in, handles on audio suite files would rock!
www.reelfx.com