Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2014, 03:46 PM

Default My electric drum kit won't work with Xpand2 Drums but works fine with Boom?

Hi,

I just got an electric kit. (KAT KT1). It works fine with "Boom". But if I use Xpand 2 with a Drum preset, I get nothing. The weird thing is I can record midi notes and play back Xpand's drum recording...but it's only when I play live or record in which I hear nothing :/

When I hit the notes on my Axiom Pro, the drum sounds trigger. Xpand seems to be different than Boom in which is has a more complex channel set up. Maybe this is the issue. Any tips please? I actually am only a fan of real drums and not the electro sound kind so hopefully I can figure out this issue.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Default Re: My electric drum kit won't work with Xpand2 Drums but works fine with Boom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrice506 View Post
Hi,

I just got an electric kit. (KAT KT1). It works fine with "Boom". But if I use Xpand 2 with a Drum preset, I get nothing. The weird thing is I can record midi notes and play back Xpand's drum recording...but it's only when I play live or record in which I hear nothing :/

When I hit the notes on my Axiom Pro, the drum sounds trigger. Xpand seems to be different than Boom in which is has a more complex channel set up. Maybe this is the issue. Any tips please? I actually am only a fan of real drums and not the electro sound kind so hopefully I can figure out this issue.

Thanks
I'm not sure about how to fix this but try looking at your MIDI set-up and the way the drums are mapped by Xpand and by your trigger kit. If I recall Xpand was unusual in the way drums were used as presets.

Also, there are some drum sets in Structure if I recall.

Frankly I'd at least download the free version of Addictive Drums if you want real drum sounds. It also has mapping options for MIDI.

http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/1

http://www.xlnaudio.com/install
Old 02-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Re: My electric drum kit won't work with Xpand2 Drums but works fine with Boom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB13KOS View Post
Frankly I'd at least download the free version of Addictive Drums if you want real drum sounds. It also has mapping options for MIDI.

http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/1

http://www.xlnaudio.com/install

+1 and they go on sale frequently that and BFD Eco $ should run about $30 on sale
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the reply.

For the Xpand2 drums, they are mapped the same way as boom and other drum samplers (having the C key be the kick, E key be the snare etc.)

I tried downloading Drumcore3 Free, but it didn't work properly. I also downloaded addictive drums free, but all it came with the package for the free version was a kick a snare and a cymbal. I don't even think it came with any toms.

I just tried Structure for drums - and it worked!! I was able to play drums on it with the keyboard as well as the kit. It doesn't seem as customizable for levels and tweaks as xpand's, drums, but honestly expand's wasn't that good either. I just caved in and bought Superior Drummer 2.0, which I am really excited for. And now that the midi works for this particular plugin, I'm confident it should work with Superior. Thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Nice !!! I'm sure you will never look back
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrice506 View Post
I just tried Structure for drums - and it worked!! I was able to play drums on it with the keyboard as well as the kit. It doesn't seem as customizable for levels and tweaks as xpand's, drums, but honestly expand's wasn't that good either. I just caved in and bought Superior Drummer 2.0, which I am really excited for. And now that the midi works for this particular plugin, I'm confident it should work with Superior. Thanks
Whichever one works !

Before I got a better drum program I too liked the ones in Structure better than the ones in Xpand....but why Avid didn't include at least a simple version of Strike instead of Boom I'll never know.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 PM

I should be getting superior in the mail friday, can't wait

Last edited by thrice506; 02-14-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB13KOS View Post
Whichever one works !

Before I got a better drum program I too liked the ones in Structure better than the ones in Xpand....but why Avid didn't include at least a simple version of Strike instead of Boom I'll never know.
Hey...I like Boom!! Doesn't need to be either/or...but both/and! Boom is very useful in the right kind of mixes.