Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2019, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Not you again, Mr. -9173

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
Honestly i still think its more graphics oriented. After I see the error, I can literally watch my cpu not jump as much once I close the mix and edit window but keep the system usage window open. I also still see it stop when it gets to certain automation info in the edit window. I still see this on clean installs with up to date plugin installs and latest approved OS installs. I see it with internal fast drives (trashcan internal) and also fast SSD's. Doesn't matter. I see it with NO plugins active on a session. Did a transfer the other day from a tape based digital machine. Stopped 2 times! No plugins, 8 tracks!

Its time to get this straightened out. Its been YEARS now since version 10 where this wasn't an issue!

And that goes for 6101 errors etc.

Yeah yeah yeah, ditch permissions and do the same stuff over and over. BS
Which of your systems is this happening on?

There were reports from a few folks in the last year or so of 2018/2019(?) with CPU/plugin issues that went away when the edit window etc. was closed. Upgrading to Mojave fixed at least some of those, but looks like you are already there.

I'm also running a 2019 MBP (6 core i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro Vega 20, 2TB SSD) and just seen no CPU/GPU performance problems.

How is the graphics performance otherwise? Have you tried running monitor in a low res/low bit depth mode to just see what happens?

If this is hitting the trashcan more. Wwhat monitors and other peripherals do you have on the Thunderbolt busses connected to the Trashcan?

I know trashing prefs etc. is a trope but with 9173 still hitting folks on 2019.x I would really just try going for broke, moving all plugin files out of the plugin folder, trashing prefs and restarting Pro Tools (it will automagically put back new clean standard plugins) and just seeing how stable things are on the standard plugins... do you see that CPU behavior as much with opening/closing the edit window? if that did not work I would grab a new SSD or spare SSD partition and spin a full complete clean install of Mojave, Pro Tools and ILM and just see how that goes in a quick test.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-22-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
plugins
Yes.

Also remember to remind everyone that EVERY TIME you update PT it is time to also check for updates for every single effing 3rd party plugin out there. You only need one rogue plugin loaded into memory and strange things may happen. Moving all 3rd party plugins to unused folder for troubleshooting somehow magically most often cures the random problems.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:51 PM

could be ram but i brought brand name ram 32gigs of it still might get 9173 once in a while guys at Avid need to dig into this and give us a heads up to why this is happening but they are noticeable quite on this issue!

Last edited by clivvy; 09-22-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
could be ram but i brought brand name ram 32gigs of it still might get 9173 once in a while guys at Avid need to dig into this and give us a heads up to why this is happening but they are noticeable quit on this issue!
Maybe because the reason most often is some one 3rd party plugin where they have no control over?
Old 09-22-2019, 07:45 PM

Well then, shield* from it. or Not allow vender lic's that don't adhere!
*A little teflon in the 3rd Party shoot.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Well then, shield* from it. or Not allow vender lic's that don't adhere!
*A little teflon in the 3rd Party shoot.
Part of the problem is...adhere to what. These plugins are just a ball of code dropped into Pro Tools, they can do a lot to disrupt the system, there is not deep sandboxing/isolation that prevent them doing very bad things, that would add more overhead. The developer tooling likely could be better, and things may be complicated by many developers using third party SDKs (esp. JUCE).

I don't think it is reasonable to suggest threatening plugin developers, Avid, and you, and I need those developers. Ii'd hope effort is placed on improving developer support, education, and tooling.

There is some unfortunate history of AAX getting to market, at times that Avid was struggling, with the whole transition clearly not done as well as it could have been, and even without that there was just being a recent new plugin with more teething problems vs. other formats. Some key folks leaving the company after AAX was rolled out but clearly still struggling etc. probably did not help...

.. but 2019.5 was finally such a significant improvement in AAX/plugin processing, it's unfortunate that it took this long, but it's a great improvement for many users. ... which is why if on 2019.x and you are still having problems please try to do that plugin troubleshooting, and work out if it's a broken/incompatible plugin, something else specific you your system, or still stuff here that Avid needs to look at.

The purpose of testing in this case is not to waste a lot of time. All you need to answer in the first test is does the system run OK with only stock plugins if yes then you are going to spend more time testing groups of plugins. If not then throw on a full clean macOS and Pro Tools install and test that. If that has problems then get going with Avid support, and share that here. Lots more progress can be made trying to take large steps down a problem solving/decision tree, vs. flittering around trying one thing, then the other, then ...
Old 09-23-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Part of the problem is...adhere to what.
True.

Generally speaking the plugs that have AAX-DSP version available are behaving good, no need for testing. Because you cannot just drop some VST plugin code into AAX container and compile, you need to actually tune it for PT.

Avid had to give the 3rd parties the opportunity to release AAX-Native only, because not all plugins can fit in DSP chips, that is just a technical fact. But the flip side of the coin still remains the same; if the 3rd party releases for DSP then the plugins are rock solid on Native as well.

So, adhere to DSP rules maybe?
Old 09-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Thank you. A very nice explanation Mr Ramm and Janne
Old 09-26-2019, 11:18 PM

Did the OP find a solution for this? I had the same problem happening to me! All of a sudden 9173 errors all over the place!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landetta View Post
Did the OP find a solution for this? I had the same problem happening to me! All of a sudden 9173 errors all over the place!
What is so hard to understand with plugins and CPU issues? You do not have any clue you are seeing the "same problem" you are just seeing the same error message. Nobody knows what is causing your problems, (on 2019.x and later especially) you have no reason to expect some other random person posting here to have the same problems as you. You need to do your own troubleshooting... which much of this thread was explaining. So what troubleshooting have you tried?

Edit: and you are really on Pro Tools 12.x? If so you are much more susceptible to all the old CPU PITA problems. This thread is in the 2019 forum area for a reason: folks expressing surprise they are still getting AAE-9173 errors on Pro Tools 2019, which otherwise cleaned up many of the problems people were having on 11/12.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-27-2019 at 12:17 AM.