Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-29-2001, 02:39 AM

Default Is my Firewire backup corrupting my sessions?

Hello.
I have an 001, not a TDM setup, but my problem is more Mac related. I record to 2 SCSI drives, 18 and 9 gig, and backup to a 60 gig Firewire drive. When I copy songs back from the Firewire drive to a SCSI, they will open, but not play. "DAE error, disk too slow or fragmented". I have optimized the SCSI's, disk doctored, them, and even re-formatted, so they don't seem to be the problem. Is Firewire corrupting my files? Is it hopefully something fixable?
Thanks.
Frustrated, and with a deadline,
Freedy
Old 01-29-2001, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Is my Firewire backup corrupting my sessions?

Hey Freddy,

I think I've got the same 60m Firewire HD as you do, 'cause I've having the same problem.

The short answer is to copy your files back to your scsi drive, then delete them from the Firewire drive. For some reason, PT is accessing the session file from the SCSI drive, but the audio from the Firewire drive.

Before you delete the session, you might want to make a test session file to test this theory, so you don't delete anything you can't reclaim, but I'm pretty sure that will solve your problem.

When I got my first Firewire drive, I was able to run PT sessions from it with no problem(tho it wasn't my main audio dirve), but when I got the second drive, I used the software from the second(later)drive to fomrat BOTH drives, and thats when they both stopped playing PT sessions. I guess I could go back to the format software from the first drive, but for me, at the moment, its not a big deal.

Hope this helps!