Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Default When is "Eucon" going to feel like it's an Avid product?

As much as I dislike Avid bashing, I'm can't help but to say that often as I'm mixing, I feel like I'm fighting my artist controller. It's like I'm trying to mix, and the controller is trying to stop me.

Today, my artist mix is inexplicably reverting to the first eight tracks in the session. As I then "select" the track I'm trying to work on, the automation line goes red when I touch the fader, but then it doesn't record the fader moves. When I stop the transport, the fader I'm holding is now a different track. WTF?

I'm no Eucon ninja (I never thought the products/protocols were "tight" enough to bother learning anything other than pushing faders around), but I've been using this artist mix for a long time, and every time I install a new version of Eucon, my hope is that it will work more reliably and it never does.

I could list a bunch of other behaviors that I see w/ the Artist mix that don't make any sense. My point is not to fix the issue that brought me here today (instead of mixing my clients' record), but just to tell Avid that my experience w/ the Eucon protocol doesn't make me want to invest more $$$ into another controller.

And now, because I'm on a deadline and need to deliver mixes, I will pull out my Presonus Faderport so I can finish my vocal ride as that will be faster than combing thru google posts reading about everyone else's frustrations w/ Eucon.

How embarrassing for Avid that a sub $200 product that's over 10 years old will help me finish my work while my $1000 (at the time) Artist Mix will now sit until I have time to troubleshoot.

my 2 cents

Ken Sluiter

MacOS Mojave 10.14.5
Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6
Eucon 19.5.1.44 REL
Old 07-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Re: When is "Eucon" going to feel like it's an Avid product?

I hear you. FWIW, that particular behavior used to annoy me a lot. I've gotten in the habit now of mixing with "link track and edit selection" off within pro tools and that seems to help. I hate having to learn how to workaround what I consider to being flaws, so I know this won't alleviate your underlying frustration, but it might help you be a mixer more often, which is what the whole investment is for, right?

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 07:59 AM
Avid

I think the fact that you say that after every release it doesn't get better indicates there's something else at play. Faulty unit, bad network setup etc. Many on here have posted on how the software has gotten much better over the past couple years and how reliable it is now.

I'm presuming you are running 19.5.1 ? and what version of PT ?
Old 07-26-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSluiter View Post
As much as I dislike Avid bashing, I'm can't help but to say that often as I'm mixing, I feel like I'm fighting my artist controller. It's like I'm trying to mix, and the controller is trying to stop me.

Today, my artist mix is inexplicably reverting to the first eight tracks in the session. As I then "select" the track I'm trying to work on, the automation line goes red when I touch the fader, but then it doesn't record the fader moves. When I stop the transport, the fader I'm holding is now a different track. WTF?

I'm no Eucon ninja (I never thought the products/protocols were "tight" enough to bother learning anything other than pushing faders around), but I've been using this artist mix for a long time, and every time I install a new version of Eucon, my hope is that it will work more reliably and it never does.

I could list a bunch of other behaviors that I see w/ the Artist mix that don't make any sense. My point is not to fix the issue that brought me here today (instead of mixing my clients' record), but just to tell Avid that my experience w/ the Eucon protocol doesn't make me want to invest more $$$ into another controller.

And now, because I'm on a deadline and need to deliver mixes, I will pull out my Presonus Faderport so I can finish my vocal ride as that will be faster than combing thru google posts reading about everyone else's frustrations w/ Eucon.

How embarrassing for Avid that a sub $200 product that's over 10 years old will help me finish my work while my $1000 (at the time) Artist Mix will now sit until I have time to troubleshoot.

my 2 cents

Ken Sluiter

MacOS Mojave 10.14.5
Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6
Eucon 19.5.1.44 REL
Could be your faders falling apart. I've replaced mine twice already. It usually starts with me moving the fader up but hearing the level go down (and vice versa) (which is also reflected by the automation kurve in PT). AVID's official repair contractor here told be it's typical for faders sending bogus data to PT when they wear out or get dirty. Replacement is the only cure and they usually replace all 8 because when one starts to fail the other will soon to from their experience.

You can test this by going into diagnosis mode and then see if the hardware is actually working correctly.