How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2018, 03:10 PM

Default Audio quality changes? Ignore errors in pb/rec

Hi guys,
There seem to bee a hugse difference in the use of resources when engaging the "ignore errors during record and playback": On my iMac Pro with a couple of VIs and some audio tracks with plug-ins I get huge spikes on the system when the "IEDP&R" is not engaged. When I have the option selected, it's actually very calm, all the way down to just 3% usage, overall. I use a lot of instruments in the box and I really can't print all the time, so to get the job done I have to use the ignore function. Even on a brand new, up to date Mac.

I know I might get pops and clicks etc. as a result of selecting ignore errors, but the difference in performance is huge. So my questions are:
1. Is there also an audio quality difference in checking/not checking the function?
Beyond pops and clicks - but in file compression or similar?
2. When bouncing in offline mode, will the system bypass error suppressing and possible reduction of audio quality?

Avid guys in here? Maybe you could look into it?
Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Audio quality changes? Ignore errors in pb/rec

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelyd View Post
1. Is there also an audio quality difference in checking/not checking the function?
No.
Quote:
Beyond pops and clicks - but in file compression or similar?
No, Pro Tools doesn't work with compressed audio.
Quote:
2. When bouncing in offline mode, will the system bypass error suppressing and possible reduction of audio quality?
There is no reduction of audio quality, unless you're bouncing to a lower sample and/or bit rate.
Quote:
Avid guys in here? Maybe you could look into it?
Are you hearing a loss of quality???

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 05-18-2018, 12:09 AM

Thanks,
No, I never heard any loss in quality - but I never A/B tested it to see either... I've used the function since they put it in there, but the enormous difference in system usage in selecting it compared to not having it selected, made me wonder if I should pay mor attention to it. Well, I'm happy
Old 05-27-2018, 01:57 PM

I have noticed actual distortion when recording with "Ignore" selected. Not on the actual track that is being recorded, but the mix itself.

My system would stop mid-take if I didn't have "Ignore" selected. The downside to having it selected all the time is that intermittently, the whole mix will sound like it is going through a chorus/distortion pedal. I have to change the buffer to a different value and replay the mix so it returns to normal. Very weird. I noticed that the crazy distortion goes away if I keep "Ignore" deselected.

It's pick your poison.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken247 View Post
I have noticed actual distortion when recording with "Ignore" selected. Not on the actual track that is being recorded, but the mix itself.

My system would stop mid-take if I didn't have "Ignore" selected. The downside to having it selected all the time is that intermittently, the whole mix will sound like it is going through a chorus/distortion pedal. I have to change the buffer to a different value and replay the mix so it returns to normal. Very weird. I noticed that the crazy distortion goes away if I keep "Ignore" deselected.

It's pick your poison.
This is often due to an under-spec'd computer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave