Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Newegg customers of WD drives beware!!!

Word of caution: If you purchase WD Caviar drives from www.newegg.com, be advise they will substitute IBM/Hitachi "equivalent" drives if they are out of stock of the Caviars. While the IBM/Hitachi drives are very fast, they are not as fast as the Caviars in our testing. Furthermore, if you request an RA, Newegg will not pay return shipping.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Newegg customers of WD drives beware!!!

What a bunch of crap. If you get the new Hitachi/IBM drives you should be thankful. They are a better drive.

Allen
Old 09-04-2003, 10:22 PM

Quote:
What a bunch of crap. If you get the new Hitachi/IBM drives you should be thankful. They are a better drive.

Allen
By whose standards? The WD drive has a faster seek time, and in EXTENSIVE testing, we found them to be definitely faster. We've had nothing but great performance from them, and besides all that, IT'S NOT WHAT I ORDERED!!!!!!!!

IF Newegg had e-mailed or called and told me, "hey we're out of stock, is the IBM/HIT drive acceptable, that'd be one thing, but to simply substitute is bad business.

IF you run drive intensive applications, you'll see the difference, the WD is by far a faster performer.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:14 PM

you're right, regardless of if you order a digi 001 and get an 002... it's not what you ordered..
and to make the CUSTOMER pay return shipping on top of that..

i had a similar experience with my KDS LCD monitor.
I got one.. it turned out to act kinda weird on me.
I tell them, they send out a new one to replace it.
well they were out of stock, so they sent a different model, and for some reason, it made my monitors hum pretty loudly.
Aside from this, I don't think it had nearly as clear a picture as my original model.
i tell them I don't want this different model, they say, unless that one is deffective, I have to pay for shipping..
what a crock of shiat.
I ended up doing it, cause I can't have my speakers humming all day.
now i have to deal with my original one.
for some reason, sometimes when i turn it off, then the next day turn it back on, the screen is just grey.
I have to turn it off and back on again, like 50 times finally it works...
Old 09-07-2003, 07:16 AM

They always pay return shipping on RAs for me. I setup a few systems a week and have bad hardware all the time. They always help out and are the best online re/wholesaler I have found.

Subbing out drives is not cool without prior notification. I have never had this happen though.

Eric

Eric