Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-16-2001, 12:30 AM

Default Please Answer Some Questions B4 I Buy

OK, I am a one man band after such a long experience working with 4 other guys, (involving more than 2 ppl in anything creates problems) So I've used Vegas Pro for 10 months and finishing up an album of about 12 songs. Now my questions, b/c I do want to make the switch to a SERIOUS setup and Digidesign 001 is what I am thinking...

1) I layer everything obviously b/c I am solo
I sometimes use 17 or 18 tracks in Vegas, and I'm assuming I can layer that many in Digi right?

2) Pluggin my mic or guitar or keyboard into my sound board with a simple TREBLE MID BASS knobs is not cutting it, it's pointless to have the board b/c I have to equilize EVERY track later, I might as well plug directly in.

3) Can I mess with an equilizer in the software in real time with 001 software?

4) I am extremely happy with the fact that for 10 months I have been able to produce my own album with very little cost, but I need more in depth software (eg. effects in real time, compression, noise reduction)

I use Sound Forge for all of my editing of tracks and it is such a pain to EQ that way.

All in all, can I do these things with a perfect CPU (Mine is fine now, but I am upgrading even further so CPU isnt an issue)

1: Layer 24 tracks with simultanious playback

2: Hear the tracks I have recorded in my Headphones while I layer more tracks (it would be immpossible w/o that of course)

3: Kick myself for not switching from Vegas to Digidesign sooner (Im hoping this is a yes!!)

Thx in advance
JMS
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[email protected][/EMAIL]
Old 07-19-2001, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Please Answer Some Questions B4 I Buy

If I understand your requirements correctly, you can do all of that within the PTLE environment. The only limitation will be monitoring your "live" track - there will be a trade-off:

You can either live with about 6-8ms of latency (round-trip time) and use effects, or monitor with very low latency and not hear any effects when you're recording the track.

You can avoid all of that by getting a little mixer like a Mackie 1404 or Behringer to monitor your live track(s) while you record. You'll have to buy a little reverb unit for monitoring and hook it up to the aux send of the mixer. Even a little Nanoverb should work in a pinch.

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: lwilliam ]

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.