Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-13-2004, 02:25 PM

Default new G5\'s. 3 pci slots!?!?!?!?!

I almost made the grave mistake of selling my g4 for a new g5 before discovering that apple has once again dropped back to 3 pci slots as the ONLY option for the new g5's. This was the case with Blue and White G3's six years ago, and it was the main reason I bought a G4. Why does this company insist on setting these bizarre limitations and how are you all managing to make the switch? I have an HD3 system and was planning on adding an accel card.

what gives?

cs
Nashville, TN
www.fabmusic.com
Old 06-13-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: new G5\'s. 3 pci slots!?!?!?!?!

You could upgrade/exchange one of your HD cards or there's the chassis option. I for one am sicking with my G4 and HD 3.

Nick
Old 06-13-2004, 02:53 PM

Yes this is a problem. But the G4's have been known to run too hot with an HD3 system. With an HD3 you have one core and two process cards. That should be fine in new G5, right?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:45 AM

Markk is right, heat (and the power consumption that goes with it) is probably the main reason for this. In the PC world, heat has become such an issue, that they are using extreme solutions like huge radiators with fans and even liquid coolers ! So I guess Apple knows what it is doing...

Mac Pro 2013 & Chassis
Old 06-14-2004, 03:54 AM

"Yes this is a problem. But the G4's have been known to run too hot with an HD3 system. With an HD3 you have one core and two process cards. That should be fine in new G5, right?"

Have just installed an extra HD process card (non Accel) making up a HD3 system (1 core and 2 process cards) on a MAC G4 933 single processor. I was wondering if I am going to have any over heating problems and is there anything I can do about it other than getting a G5.

Has anyone had any problems with over heating with G4 and HD 3?

Nick
Old 06-14-2004, 05:04 AM

Look over the recent postings, there is a post related directly to this problem. It is one of the main reasons I just upgraded.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I almost made the grave mistake of selling my g4 for a new g5 before discovering that apple has once again dropped back to 3 pci slots as the ONLY option for the new g5's.
This will Spawn the "Accel Core"
Old 06-14-2004, 08:26 AM

By frenchman
Quote:
In the PC world, heat has become such an issue, that they are using extreme solutions like huge radiators with fans and even liquid coolers ! So I guess Apple knows what it is doing...
Hello. I am not sure I understand quite what it is you are saying. Are you saying that Apple has found a way to keep the device cooler by cutting down on slots? Because as you well know, the G5's run way hotter than anything Apple (or just about anyone else) has ever produced. They take care of this by deploying multiple fans (up to 5) and also Liquid Cooling. Again I don't understand the point you were trying to make.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:15 PM

Quote:
By frenchman
Quote:
In the PC world, heat has become such an issue, that they are using extreme solutions like huge radiators with fans and even liquid coolers ! So I guess Apple knows what it is doing...
Hello. I am not sure I understand quite what it is you are saying. Are you saying that Apple has found a way to keep the device cooler by cutting down on slots? Because as you well know, the G5's run way hotter than anything Apple (or just about anyone else) has ever produced. They take care of this by deploying multiple fans (up to 5) and also Liquid Cooling. Again I don't understand the point you were trying to make.
Yeah, I am with Froyo on this one. The G5's are one of the hottest (temperature wise) personal computers period. There are more fans in that thing that most PC's.. My PC is just as fast as a G5, and it's got 6 PCI slots (all 6 being used too), and I have just 3 fans (most are running at very slow speeds) and a couple heatsinks inside an aluminum case. ..and the temp is very well maintained.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I almost made the grave mistake of selling my g4 for a new g5 before discovering that apple has once again dropped back to 3 pci slots as the ONLY option for the new g5's.
For the record, the original G5 that was announced at WWDC last June had only 3 PCI slots. It's not as if the original G5 had 4 slots and they scaled it back.