Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2019, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Heat + Complete Plugin Bundle for all subscribers

Yup I can tell by your extensive list of Avid gear.... maybe it is more to do with PT is now out of your class/league and the measly $100 increase to the annual fee puts it there.... it a bit like these folks on here ranting and raving about how so much better Reaper is..... there seems to me to be a common thread to these people they all seem to have a bee in their bonnets about Avid similar to a spurned divorcιe. I can tell you personally that has turned me off Reaper coz it seems to me the only selling point is “it isn’t PT”. Now I can understand people have invested $1000’s who now feel they are owed some sort of loyalty token.... but that spending was yours and not Avid’s spending decision.

I am very much looking forward to adding HEAT when and if they offer this deal. It will be just another layer of colour to add or not to my mixes even if it is old... and I’d have to say you would be a tad hypocritical of you if you owned any “old” simulated analog plugs but I’m guessing you don’t go for these and own none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
Avid is a Hustle and part of that gag is the convoluted roll outs.

I like many here have payed 10000s over 20 years. and they NEVER reward the customers that pay the most. quite the opposite.

this HEAT thing was cool years ago, Love Dave Hill but he always prices his stuff so that no one uses it.. must be some human behavior art project perhaps.

and Avid ... well their converters are USELESS unless you pay 400 a year
one thing they Could Learn from "Adobe" the mighty is: bag the stupid "reinstatement".. it will pay out in the wash...

then again no one under 30 cares about PT unless their caught in one of the "musicproduction College" fishingnets
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 07-27-2019, 05:43 PM

Ok guys thanks for clearing that up..... to tell you the truth I don’t really use any of the avid plugs... but I have used Falcon on a recent track I wrote... don’t suppose there is a perp lic for it? It does do some funky stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
I believe it is tied to support plan just like the Avid Plugin bundle.

Last year Avid was talking up all the new "products" they were prepping and i tried to remind everyone that "subscriptions" and "cloud services" were "products" to corp think, with a much larger profit margin than actual hardware and even software. So now we have avid play and a whole bunch of subs.
The writing was on the wall and i think there will be more to come as far as turning avid into a holding company for various "IT" type services. The new control surfaces are not bad but not game changing IMHO and i really dont think they're even close to done changing their business model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Nope. The Avid / Falcon sounds are tied to the subscription and support plan so if you stop with that it will stop the library. The UVI player will still work but thats free from UVI website for everyone so not a gift at all.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Ok guys thanks for clearing that up..... to tell you the truth I don’t really use any of the avid plugs... but I have used Falcon on a recent track I wrote... don’t suppose there is a perp lic for it? It does do some funky stuff.
you just asked the same question i had ... except i will make an AUDIO Track of any Falcon used and NOT give avid any more money ..

or any other Avid Pro Plugins .. the limiter / comp .. as they will probably stop working at some point too .. slowly making sure that i have a working system when my PT life runs out sept 4th .. still hoping for One More Update !!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-27-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
.... I have used Falcon on a recent track I wrote... don’t suppose there is a perp lic for it? ...
USD $349
https://www.uvi.net/falcon.html
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 07-27-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
you just asked the same question i had ... except i will make an AUDIO Track of any Falcon used and NOT give avid any more money ..

or any other Avid Pro Plugins .. the limiter / comp .. as they will probably stop working at some point too .. slowly making sure that i have a working system when my PT life runs out sept 4th .. still hoping for One More Update !!
Everything will stop working eventually, but that is a good point to remember commit the tracks you have with any plug who life depends on a sub so’s you don’t lose the created track.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:10 PM

Thanks unkJE...... That’s good to know.... and not too badly priced

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Old 07-31-2019, 04:14 PM

So... When are the HEAT and Complete Plugin Bundle licenses/downloads going to show up in My Products/Avid Link for Pro Tools subscribers? Will they work with legacy versions of Pro Tools (12.8.3, in my case)?

27" iMac Retina 5K 4.0GHz Quad-Core i7 16GB RAM / macOS High Sierra v10.13.6 (17G14019) / RME Fireface UFX (Firmware v360/DSP v1.63/USB 2.0 Driver v3.19) / Pro Tools v12.8.3.178
Old 08-01-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJoker View Post
Will they work with legacy versions of Pro Tools (12.8.3, in my case)?
I think but I may be wrong but HEAT will work with 2019.6 or later.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:30 PM

Slightly off topic ... but since I've never had a chance to use it, I'd love to read/ hear some contemporary opinions of Heat by long time Heat users ... particularly in light of the ongoing release of other amazing new plugins.

The most interesting thing I've come across so far it that it is still relevant with respect to its harmonic distortion function, but that UAD, Softube and other tape emulations have left that function in the dust.

I have a perpetual license for HD Native and I'm preparing to jump ship after acquiring as many of the Tier 3 plugins as possible. When support renewal rolls around, so far I haven't choked too bad when I ante up ... but 'upgrade' pickings have been pretty slim. I'm not going to go on forever.

I also think there is a little confusion about some comments of Avid doing away with perpetual licenses. I am pretty sure that means they might stop selling new ones, not that they cease honoring those that are out there. The lawsuits would be crippling.

Also, I believe Avid really only cares about PT in support of its hardware products. Those are what it really wants to sell and PT has to remain defensibly competitive to keep that engine chugging.

Anyway, anyone up to commenting on Heat or pointing me via link to good discussions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 AM

I think the key thing that wins me over, btw I have never used it. But the way it integrates into the PT mixer. From what I have seen and read is it treats every track differently (someone correct me if I’m wrong, it was a few weeks ago that I read that) yup prolly could find whatever else doing a fine job too..... just like analog v digital.... you now find digital trying to do analog.... don’t remember any analog thingy ever try to be digital...... so yes very well you might find others doing HEAT better but it won’t have the same sound/colour or integration without a lot of extra work.

Dave Hill the creator has a pretty good demo on it, if you listen through a decent set of cans or your studio monitors you get a pretty good idea of the effect. But also someone posted a link to True Iron recently and I immediately brought that when I heard it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFT View Post
Slightly off topic ... but since I've never had a chance to use it, I'd love to read/ hear some contemporary opinions of Heat by long time Heat users ... particularly in light of the ongoing release of other amazing new plugins.

The most interesting thing I've come across so far it that it is still relevant with respect to its harmonic distortion function, but that UAD, Softube and other tape emulations have left that function in the dust.

I have a perpetual license for HD Native and I'm preparing to jump ship after acquiring as many of the Tier 3 plugins as possible. When support renewal rolls around, so far I haven't choked too bad when I ante up ... but 'upgrade' pickings have been pretty slim. I'm not going to go on forever.

I also think there is a little confusion about some comments of Avid doing away with perpetual licenses. I am pretty sure that means they might stop selling new ones, not that they cease honoring those that are out there. The lawsuits would be crippling.

Also, I believe Avid really only cares about PT in support of its hardware products. Those are what it really wants to sell and PT has to remain defensibly competitive to keep that engine chugging.

Anyway, anyone up to commenting on Heat or pointing me via link to good discussions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by xrekcor; 08-08-2019 at 12:56 AM.