Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 04-15-2019, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

My experience is that Pro Tools is extremely sensitive to background processes and worst case being processes that try to allocate network resources, which seem to affect Pro Tools drastically, often to the unusable degree.

Even if network is recommended to be disabled It feels like a problem that should and could be a problem of the past. But AVID either don't care, have the skills or interest in delivering something more than something that takes the absolute minimum effort to accomplish.

Yada yada

Why is the Pro Tools QuickTime Server process ALWAYS not responding by the way?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
My experience is that Pro Tools is extremely sensitive to background processes and worst case being processes that try to allocate network resources, which seem to affect Pro Tools drastically, often to the unusable degree.

Even if network is recommended to be disabled It feels like a problem that should and could be a problem of the past. But AVID either don't care, have the skills or interest in delivering something more than something that takes the absolute minimum effort to accomplish.

Yada yada

Why is the Pro Tools QuickTime Server process ALWAYS not responding by the way?
Amen to everything. These network issues are terrible. When a scheduled backup to my NAS starts transfering PT gets sluggish like all heck. Even though it neither reads nor writes to a network volume and it has 36GB disk cache allotted, which is plenty. It's ridiculous. Disable network? Yeah, right. Also wash your hands, comb your hair and put on a clean pair of socks, because Avid PT isn't able to deal with anything.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-15-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Yet I can install PT11 on a totally unsupported and underpowered MBA and not have these issues.
Go back to PTHD 8.1.1 and any hardware capable of running then-current OS and stability is on a totally different level -- of course, that was the last release which required DigiDesign branded interface.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:

PT has become EXTREMELY unreliable. It can run fine for hours on end. Then the next day, errors for no reason.

Yet I can install PT11 on a totally unsupported and underpowered MBA and not have these issues.
This is exactly our experiece, too. Currently Pro Tools is not relyable on modern platforms (Windows) any more. On older platforms (> 2 years) it's better.
It can be improved a little with process optimizers for Windows, like process lasso. It helps giving Pro Tools the optimization for the OS that Avids programmers did not do properly.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Go back to PTHD 8.1.1 and any hardware capable of running then-current OS and stability is on a totally different level -- of course, that was the last release which required DigiDesign branded interface.

I hope you’re joking with that suggestion.

I remember running PT5 and it was very stable. Do you suggest I go back to that setup too?

Crikey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I hope you’re joking with that suggestion.

I remember running PT5 and it was very stable. Do you suggest I go back to that setup too?
Yes I am.

Point being end of an era (PT5/OS9 and PT8/DigiDesign) is always more stable than ongoing development. As far as I see it, PT11 (64bit) was just like PT6 (OSX) and while it took until PT8.1.1 to be very stable on OSX we're really only reaching the same point with 64bit PT.

2019.5 has high expectations so let us hope it's not a letdown.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Default Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Yes I am.

Point being end of an era (PT5/OS9 and PT8/DigiDesign) is always more stable than ongoing development. As far as I see it, PT11 (64bit) was just like PT6 (OSX) and while it took until PT8.1.1 to be very stable on OSX we're really only reaching the same point with 64bit PT.

2019.5 has high expectations so let us hope it's not a letdown.

And since tapemachines don’t have software code we should better not use computers at all for recording ...

So apart from all nonsense: what justifies paying €427,- for PT Ultimate support every year while being served with the speed of pro Tools Ultimate support updates we currently face . For me nothing justifies paying that amount and waiting for over 6 months for a Mojave compatible release.

“So let us hope 2019.5 is not a letdown” is something you say to a software vendor who comes with a long awaited free update.

It’s way too nice and soft to say that to someone who’s asking you €427,- a year, or a double amount penalty if you don’t pay in time. I would rather ask my money back to be honest.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
“So let us hope 2019.5 is not a letdown” is something you say to a software vendor who comes with a long awaited free update.
Let's not repeat this thread all over again -- Long story short: I've said I was expecting to have Mojave support last year and I didn't get it why Avid didn't release 2019.1 with it (Mojave support) and no new features, because that'd kind of be why they have the sub model in place. So they missed that opportunity and it is easy to have hindsight and say that was what they really should have done.

So they were aiming for 2019.3 with new features also, only to miss it due to technical issue and we're still waiting. Tough luck for those who really need Mojave support because new computer purchase, there's no denying Avid is half a year late when (if!) they release 2019.5 in few weeks.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM

Default Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Let's not repeat this thread all over again -- Long story short: I've said I was expecting to have Mojave support last year and I didn't get it why Avid didn't release 2019.1 with it (Mojave support) and no new features, because that'd kind of be why they have the sub model in place. So they missed that opportunity and it is easy to have hindsight and say that was what they really should have done.

So they were aiming for 2019.3 with new features also, only to miss it due to technical issue and we're still waiting. Tough luck for those who really need Mojave support because new computer purchase, there's no denying Avid is half a year late when (if!) they release 2019.5 in few weeks.

But is it acceptable/should paying customer support users accept it?

They did’t do Mojave support in 2018.12
They didn’t release a 10.14 compatible 2019.1
And also their promised Q1 2019 didn’t make it

It even got worse when we had to discover through Pro Tools Expert that the reason for this is their museum piece HDX. So if you’re on a Pro Tools Ultimate support plan without HD hardware, you’re funding the R&D for their vintage tech hardware. While not getting an up to date compatible release at the same time.

Feel almost like theft and doesn’t do anything good to customers who put their trust in a company.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro