Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Multi Channel Digital Interface

I am running Pro Tools LE 7 with a 002 Rack on an Imac 10.6.3. I am looking to add a multi channel interface in order to record drums. I've looked at the Mackie Blackbird, Octopre, Behringer and Presonus Digimax. I believe I would need to utilize the lightpipe connection. Any feedback regarding quality affordability and ease of use would be appreciated.

I posted this in the LE section but didn't get much of a response.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Multi Channel Digital Interface

First, what's your budget?

Wave-T.com
Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 PM

Actually, your 002 is the interface and you want to add an 8 channel preamp, but yes, a single lightpipe is what you would need for any of these. One caveat: when you use a digital connection, you MUST choose a master clock source. If the external unit only has a lightpipe OUT, then you must tell Pro Tools to use ADAT/Optical as the clock source(with the external device running on its own clock). With a device that has a lightpipe IN, you can use 2 lightpipe "cables" and set the external preamp to use external clock(which will clock from the returning lightpipe and you would leave Pro Tools set to internal clock). Which way to do it is totally up to you and you should audition both scenarios and let your ears decide(without proper clocking, your ADAT inputs, 9 thru 16, will pop and click badly). BTW, this is for 441 and 48K only(no 88.2 or 96K with the 002/003).

As to which unit to buy, My 2 cents, but here is the order of lowest quality to highest(which follows price from low to high).
Behringer ADA8000(cheapest and on par with the 002)
Presonus D8
Presonus DigiMax or Firestudio
(firestudio can be a PITA to setup the first time)
Focusrite OctoPre Mk II or Mk II Dynamic(and excellent balance of price/quality)
Mackie Blackbird or Onyx800
Focusrite ISA428 or 828 w/option card(expensive but in another class) The 428 digital card has 8 paths, so you can use 4 more outboard preamps via analog(handy for some API or Neve preamps)

I left out the old silver Focusrite Octopre as there are not worth it IMHO. If you need cheap, the Behringer will do fine.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Thanks so much for the in-depth reply. In order to utilize both the inputs on the 002 and the 8 channel preamp, I would need to set the 002 as the master clock? Hence the need for both input/output on the 8 channel preamp? This is a main criteria for my eventual selection.

I am prepared to shell out about $500 so it sounds like the Focusrite OctoPre Mk II or Blackbird would be the best choice (Blackbird judging by your list).

I saw a used silver Focusrite Octopre on Ebay, but your comment has made me think twice.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 AM

So, looking into the OctoPre a little further I notice that it has two optical outputs but no inputs. So I wouldn't be able to use Pro Tools as the clock source, meaning I wouldn't be able to use the 002 mic pre in addition to the external mic pre. Is that correct? Still a little confused on the IO situation. I want to make use of as many inputs as possible.

So in that regard it looks the Blackbird is the winner in the price point.

(no 88.2 or 96K with the 002/003) I'm a little confused. My 002 goes up to 96K. Do you mean if I use it in conjunction with the external mic pre I can only use 44 or 48?

As a side note, when I've recorded at a professional studio recently (Westlake) the engineers always create the session at 44.1. Strange that they would do that no?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 PM

You WILL be able to use all 16 inputs(8 on the 002 and 8 on the external box). Clocking is easy, but you MUST set it right so you don't get pops and clicks from the ADAT channels. Its really pretty simple: if 9 thru 16 make pops, the clock isn't correct The OctoPre Mk II DYNAMIC(which can be had on the used market for $500) does have lightpipe in AND out, but its not an absolute necessity(just a convenience)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave