Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-31-2019, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HDX useless?!?!?! major RAM usage problems 32bit

yes, I'm on the latest firmware!
the MKII is better in many regards, I hear..
the three cards I have in the two MKI chassis are compatible with the MKII chassis, but I couldn't justify spending 3k to upgrade in order to get rid of a couple minor inconveniences...
Old 10-31-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
the MKII is better in many regards, I hear..
Most notable difference is touch screen interface. Other than that, as you already know sound quality is up to the cards, but the MkII chassis is TB compatible -- mine has both TB and HD connections.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 AM

One thing I’ve noticed about the Pro Tools community in general as compared to my day job as a software developer in another industry is the seemingly vast percentage of users running various versions of out of date software and hardware. I’m having financial trouble keeping up with it myself! As a result, it’s a nearly impossible task for anyone to solve these bugs, as there are so many unique system combinations. Even Avid appears to struggle with this conundrum. But I also feel it’s unrealistic to expect flawless operation 100% of the time when mixing and matching different OS versions, drivers, PT software versions, 3rd party interfaces, etc. I know there are recommended lists of hardware and software combinations from Avid, but that doesn’t even guarantee a seamless and bug free experience either. Since many users(myself included) are connected to the Internet, and constantly prompted to upgrade this or upgrade that, at some point I wish I could get more of a solid guarantee that a certain exact design/combination will provide a level of stability and performance.

Allow me to provide an example. A couple years ago I went on a backstage tour of the Hall of Presidents at Disney World, and they showed us the PC running Windows 95 that operates the ride. This PC had been running the ride since it’s inception, and had only needed to be rebooted 2 times in 20 years! And how is that? Because the Windows 95 PC was not connected to any other systems or the Internet, and nothing had changed that required any type of OS or driver update. And some PT users have followed this model and have found a stable system combination and have “frozen” their setup. For others, keeping systems up to date is a must, and we are challenged to choose what to upgrade when without breaking what is already working. It’s maddening for sure.

My point is this: With the recent PT update to 2019.10, I noticed the pop up dialog from Avid asking permission to anonymously log our usage/data/errors, etc. I think everyone should say yes to this, in the hopes that this will provide Avid with valuable data to discover with much more certainty what exactly causes errors, crashes, incompatibilities and more. Our systems are dependent upon all the gear and software from various manufacturers to all work together, and there is no practical way for Avid to be able to test for all the combinations that the users are putting together. This has been happening for a while now in the general software industry, and we should all get on board if we can with this usage tracking program from Avid. Even with our subscription fees, I just don’t think Avid will be able to nail down many issues without real time data from us users. That’s my 2 cents.
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post

My point is this: With the recent PT update to 2019.10, I noticed the pop up dialog from Avid asking permission to anonymously log our usage/data/errors, etc. I think everyone should say yes to this, in the hopes that this will provide Avid with valuable data to discover with much more certainty what exactly causes errors, crashes, incompatibilities and more.
^^^ This ^^^

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com