Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Film Production Sound Tips & Field Recorder Workflow with Pro Tools 9.0.3

So I'm posting answers to my own questions:

1. It seems you could link the entire AAF time line to the FRW channels IF they were in the session. This would take hiring on another assistant to pull all sound dailies into the Avid MC project before hand. Quite frankly that is a costly labor proposition in time AND effort. Since Titan, good robot that it is can go "get" the needed media from your SoundRoll folders and then assemble and sync it in about 2 hours, while you go get some coffee or a shower or whatever, it's a no brainer, Titan wins...again.

2. see above

3. Pro Tools does a demult in workspace.

4. Didn't test this since the answer to #1 sent me right back to Titan/Conformalizer which deals with this problem cut to cut without issue

5. It doesn't help one bit with your ADR/Foley/FX

6. At least the latest version of Avid MC puts out a good Sound EDL. I did several test of lists with Titan and it just worked...nice.

My take away for the whole AAF/FRW deal is it may be great if you're on a project that's entirely "in-house" like maybe some of the Reality type shows. But most of us in TV/Film Sound are remote collaborators. I do like the ability to link any new takes from the AAF MD to the Sound Rolls if they are in the session. One tip for anyone using 9HD is that if you need to import a new take not used in the current session Do use the "control" drag to region bin routine. I got many Assertion errors until I force PT to copy this way...this with prefs check to always copy as BWAV. That's an old, old trick to force the issue. One of my colleagues is using !0HD and the workflow is not as friendly as 9HD as there are some magic key combos that he's had to uncover. Hopefully the implimentation of this entire scheme will finally get there. Geez it's been around since PT7 and we're just know being able to use it functionally.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Film Production Sound Tips & Field Recorder Workflow with Pro Tools 9.0.3

Watched the video at the top of the post. Very useful. One thing that I noticed about the metadata of the original production audio files was that the names of the characters/actors were embedded in the track/files metadata. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do this in post? Adjust the file metadata so that I can do the same? Do I need some standalone software or can I do it in PT?
Thanks in advance, Nick
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM

For anybody interested I managed to adjust metadata using the project browser and now have useful information appearing in the clips on the timeline instead of just file names. A heads up to those using this method. Sometimes when hitting audition in the project window a file that has had metadata adjusted will play back with just white noise. Don´t be alarmed. It´s just a glitch. Save and reopen the session and the file will playback normally.
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 03-11-2014, 01:42 PM

For anyone looking for info on FRW and the misalignment of the clips after PT has linked to the production poly files, please see this thread.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=345993