Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 AM

Default Can Protools auto-match&sync audio and video with matching TC?

I edit this piece in FCPX. There was an urgent need to edit BEFORE I had a chance to sync dual system audio.

The question is: can I edit with camera audio and leave syncing of dual-system sound to the Protools sound editor? Meaning, can it be easily done? My audio and video clips DO have matching TC and unique filenames. Thanks!

EDIT: there's way too many clips to sync manually in FCPX, as it doesn't have batch syncing. Sync-n-Link X is not an option now. Thanks for understanding.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Can Protools auto-match&sync audio and video with matching TC?

Yes if using the field recorder workflow.

But you better make sure you are absolutely right about everything you stated and that the sound editor knows how to do this. Otherwise you are just compounding a problem. It doesn’t matter if “people on the internet” know how to do this if your sound editor doesn’t. Talk to him/her.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Another reason to never ever use FCPX on anything more than a tiny simple video. Not a team player.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Another reason to never ever use FCPX on anything more than a tiny simple video. Not a team player.
I have delivered many broadcast things with FCPX. AAF/OMF isn't a problem but this very time, we absolutely had to edit before being able to sync. It would probably be a very similar issue with Media Composer. Thanks though :)
Old 09-24-2018, 02:00 PM

Not wanting to hijack this thread but I have a project coming from a client editing on Final Cut Pro X and was wondering if it can create OMFs or AAFs.

Thanks
Scott
Z690 AERO D Workstation, I7 3.6GHz 12 core, 64GB RAM, Win10 Business 64bit
Old 09-24-2018, 02:47 PM

No. Not directly.

You need third party software
Old 09-26-2018, 10:23 AM

In order to use Pro Tools' Field Recorder workflow you MUST have at least 2 things matching in the metadata of the AAF audio and recorder files in order for the files to link up. And one of those 2 things must be the timecode. I am unaware if FCP X preserves metadata but you should do a test. If not, you may be able to export an XML from FCP and import it into ediload, which in turn will export a ProTools session that will allow you to match up the field recorder files.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
No. Not directly.

You need third party software

You need X2Pro, and the resulting export is still a dog's breakfast. FCPX is not a tool for use on jobs where exchange with other depts (esp sound) is required. If you can finish within FCPX, then rock on. But the exports I've been getting from even well-meaning FCPX users are so time-consuming to unravel that I either charge extra if they insist on exporting from that app or I turn down the job altogether. The longer and more complex the sound track of a project is the more I have found this to be true.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
You need X2Pro, and the resulting export is still a dog's breakfast. FCPX is not a tool for use on jobs where exchange with other depts (esp sound) is required. If you can finish within FCPX, then rock on. But the exports I've been getting from even well-meaning FCPX users are so time-consuming to unravel that I either charge extra if they insist on exporting from that app or I turn down the job altogether. The longer and more complex the sound track of a project is the more I have found this to be true.
Still have a copy of Automatic Duck Pro Export 5.1 to do exports from FCPX.
(other option is to send the FCP X to Logic Pro X and then use Logic Pro X to do the export of an AAF -- which it can do.)