Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-01-2020, 03:20 PM

Default Two versions PTools on two Macs

Help me out, please. Right now: PT 12 on older mac with El Capitan. Got an activation key for newest PTools. Want this on newer mac with Mojave BUT want to keep PT 12 on the older mac. How to?
Old 12-01-2020, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Two versions PTools on two Macs

Welcome to the community.

Is the new 'activation key' a new/full product or a renewal/reinstatement? If the former then you'd have 2 licenses so could put them on 2 iLoks, one for each computer. If it's a renewal or reinstatement (upgrade) then you only have 1 license (likely a bundle including legacy versions). You'd put that on your iLok and move the iLok to the computer you are currently running Pro Tools on - you can leave Pro Tools installed on both computers. Hope that helps clarify things.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:22 AM

And if you have a license bundle and do have to move an iLok between both systems really consider if you want Pro Tools 12 on the old Mac... if that Mac can run a later macOS/Pro Tools combination then I would try to get both systems configured as close as possible.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:02 AM

The PT12 on the old macpro is a perpetual version. I cant upgrade ion this mac. So I bought the Pro Tools Upgrade Plan New which becomes perpetual after a year. This new PTools can function on my newer Mac with Mojave. But for the time being I want to keep PT12 on the old mac. How do I actual proceed? Pit the Ilock in the new mac, install and activate the new PTools? This wont affect the PT 12 license on the Ilock, so I can still use the Ilock in the old mac and work with 12? I a not very good at installing software, more of a musician, but I love Pro Tools😊
Old 12-02-2020, 11:28 AM

Pretty hard to make sense of what you are saying... there is no such thing called a "Pro Tools Upgrade Plan New" -- and I kinda guess what you might mean but there is nothing that actually turns from subscription back to perpetual -- a subscription license is different than a perpetual license with support/update plan -- where did you purchase this? -- why don't you include links to what exactly you purchased?

As jeffro said, if you purchased a support reinstatement and upgrade for an expired perpetual plan (from an Avid dealer, not available from Avid direct) then you need to surrender your existing license. And you should end up with a combo license on the iLok that you move between computers.

But the license/iLok has nothing to do with actually installing the software. You just run the installer, and then ideally also install the latest iLok License Manager if a later version is available. The normal way to update the license actually on the iLok would be to just click the activate button with the iLok connected when you run Pro Tools on the new Mac. That will do the current license surrender for you.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:58 PM

Posting is difficult
Old 12-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Random: “access denied”
Old 12-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Frustrating....
Old 12-02-2020, 01:06 PM

I want to send a link to a Avid Renewal Plan sold by Thomann in Germany. But it seems this is blocked
Old 12-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Likely since you are a new user (anti-spam effort). I'll start a support case to get your info.