Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Default Keycommand help PC

All the "secret" keycommands are missing in the keyboard shortcuts PDF?
I just rediscovered an old page from sound on sound that lists some helpful keycommands and i was thinking ok, maybe iīll learn something.
Oh yes, i have been stuck with the same workflow for ages, not helping myself to some new information to speed things up.
Anyways, there was one that was particularly interesting, itīs the first one on the page: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0.../keypoints.htm

To turn automation on, Ctrl+Option+Command-click (PC: Ctrl+Start+Alt-click) on the plug-in parameter.

To switch that track to display automation data for a given parameter, Ctrl+Command-click (Ctrl+Start-click) on the plug-in parameter.

Ok so i Ctr+Start+Alt click on the what?
Plugin automation enable is not plug-in parameter?

When i press the plug-in automation enable button holding Ctr+Start+Alt
All the parameters in the pluginwindow gets pink/red outlines and then what.
I donīt get it, could someone please explain to me what i am missing out on, because i donīt get the: "To switch that track to display automation data for a given parameter, Ctrl+Command-click (Ctrl+Start-click) on the plug-in parameter." to work.
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 05-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Keycommand help PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by critza View Post
Ok so i Ctr+Start+Alt click on the what?
Ctrl+Start+Click on the plug-in parameter. Then select "Enable Automation for...". After that, you can just Ctrl+Start on the same parameter to quickly display the automation play list in the Edit window.

On that subject, this shortcut should definitely not open a new window with two user choices. That's absolutely ridiculous and definitely doesn't qualify it as a shortcut. It should directly enable the plug-in parameter invoked by the command. If someone needs to go to the plug-in automation window, they can click on the icon for it. Also, Ctrl+Start should display the plug-in parameter in the Edit window and enable the parameter if it wasn't already enabled. This area was not well thought out and I'd love to chat with the individual who makes these final decisions to implement, as it appears they spend little time in actually using Pro Tools.

Quote:
Plugin automation enable is not plug-in parameter?
Automation enable turns the ability to automate the parameter on. You will now have access to these parameters in the Edit window automation playlists.

Quote:
When i press the plug-in automation enable button holding Ctr+Start+Alt
All the parameters in the pluginwindow gets pink/red outlines and then what.
That means they are now enabled and will show up in the automation play list in the Edit window. If they are not enabled, you wont be able to automate them and they wont show up in the automation play list.

On that note, some PT commands have been changed over the years. A few commands in PT 8 have strayed away from their original sequence which makes the fluid easy work flow the PT once had no longer, as it continues to bloat up over time with no user defined key commands.

Hope that helps and clarifies things.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quickly reading through your answer gave me nothing, but hey, itīs way past bedtime here in Sweden and iīll read it again tomorrow with PT on and hopefully most of my braincells too.
Thanks for your reply!

=)
Old 05-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Quickly reading through your answer gave me nothing, but hey, itīs way past bedtime here in Sweden and iīll read it again tomorrow with PT on and hopefully most of my braincells too.
Thanks for your reply!

=)
Click on my links for pics. Visuals say more than descriptive words.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-09-2010, 01:39 AM

Ok i get it, this only applies for digis own plugins, i was trying to use this command for 3rd party plugins with no success.

Is there a way to solve this, because the keycommand is really valuable.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Ok i get it, this only applies for digis own plugins, i was trying to use this command for 3rd party plugins with no success.
No, this also apply to 3rd party plugins, but not all of them. I have some old UA TDM plugins, and for them I can't auto-enable single parameters with the shortcut (Ctrl-Option-Command-click on Mac). But I can Ctrl-Option-Command-click the Auto button in the plugin GUI to auto-enable all parameters in one go.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:

Is there a way to solve this, because the keycommand is really valuable.
This will depend if the plug-in itself supports this feature. Not all of them do.

Shane