Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 PM

Default Pace want $10,000.00 / Year for Support

I'll leave this original post in tact, so that people stumbling across it know what's going on, but I ASSUMED "Pace" was the same company / Support Route as the iLok - I obviously stumbled across Developer support, and imagining that this was support for an iLok - was shocked.

Quote:
After getting an e-mail from Pace stating...

Quote:
Please be aware that issues from customers that possess a paid support contract are afforded a higher priority.
So... I thought.. "my iLok is important, I'll look into this paid support option, might be nice to have a little extra assurance"

Pace wants Ten Thousand Dollars a year from you, to answer e-mails, as they come in, during business hours.

Wow.

A cool Thousand dollars to schedule a phone call, or answer your e-mail as it comes in.

Guess I'll leave a week or two if I want any answers about a malfunctioning iLok.

Who all here has the $10,000.00 Support package? is it awesome? like the most awesome support, like ever? I want actual therapy WHILE troubleshooting iLok problems for that, and to be addressed as Captain, and told "I'm the man" every 10 minutes.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App

Last edited by KingFish; 10-24-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Misinformation
Old 10-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Pace want $10,000.00 / Year for Support

I presume this would be the support cost for developers using iLok in their products. . . but still ridiculous! Monopolies are never a good thing.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:36 PM

that amount has nothing at all to do with your ilok
pace has nothing directly to do with ilok
your ilok support is solely from ilok.com
pace is a software company

Apple developer support is about the same price and even has
has a level of developer support that's more than the pace
support

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 10-24-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Wrong Support link - My Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post

support
Ahh my bad guys - I just did a search for "iLok" rather then going to iLok dot com - google sent me to pace - thought it was the same support infrastructure

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post

support
Yea, me too. . . I thought the two companies were affiliated. . .
Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
Yea, me too. . . I thought the two companies were affiliated. . .
There aren't two companies, iLok is a Pace hardware product. The prices quoted were for developer support not end-user support though.

Pete
Old 10-24-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
There aren't two companies, iLok is a Pace hardware product. The prices quoted were for developer support not end-user support though.

Pete
Yes, iLok is a Pace developed product. I thought the two were still closely affiliated. I suggest they are probably 2 different legal entities, just for limited liability reasons, but I guess it depends on how you define "companies", no matter.

In my opinion iLok is scary. There is no telephone support, and not even an address or phone number on the website, at least not that I can find. most of use have 10's of thousands of dollars under iLok's lock and key. What do you do when you get in real big trouble in the middle of a deadline? It happened to me earlier in the year with a software upgrade that left me sans license for ProTools. I was able to borrow an iLok key from an associate to get thru the time it took to sort things out.

Like I said earlier monopolies are never good.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, iLok is a Pace developed product. I thought the two were still closely affiliated. I suggest they are probably 2 different legal entities, just for limited liability reasons, but I guess it depends on how you define "companies", no matter.

In my opinion iLok is scary. There is no telephone support, and not even an address or phone number on the website, at least not that I can find. most of use have 10's of thousands of dollars under iLok's lock and key. What do you do when you get in real big trouble in the middle of a deadline? It happened to me earlier in the year with a software upgrade that left me sans license for ProTools. I was able to borrow an iLok key from an associate to get thru the time it took to sort things out.

Like I said earlier monopolies are never good.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottleader View Post
I had a major problem with my ilok 6 months ago. I couldn't get support. So, with a little internet digging, I found out the name and address for the Vice President in charge of media relations for PACE. Getting through there phone system, I got his secretary, and then finally him on the phone. After explaining my distain for his company and the fact that I am being punished by legally buying software (being forced into ILOK) he got someone on the phone from tech support and they fixed my issue in like 30 seconds. This was good, but also pissed me off even more.

I posted his info on this site with the hope that he would get FLOODED with emails and phone calls but the Digi Moderators removed it. Just goes to show you once again how us end users are not the priority of any of these companies.

However, if you want it, I will email it to you.
Companies that are accountable have an address & telephone number somewhere on their website. Not iLok. I can understand the cost of support staff and the difficulty of weeding out real problems from inexperience. . . not sure what to suggest, but I say again, we have too many expensive eggs in one basket with iLok, and innovative companies find solutions to support customers, they don't hide.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Sorry to bang on about this but where did anyone get the idea that there were two different companies? Ilok.com is purely an end-user website for one particular product of Pace - even the bottom of the pages has "PACE Anti-Piracy, Inc." There is no Ilok inc unless I'm very mistaken which is why there is no corporate/contact info. The side-effect of this is that people feel held at "arms length" from Pace which definitely isn't good especially since we pay them everytime we buy an ilok and even more scandalously everytime we transfer a license.

Pete