Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-04-2017, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Fix Side Chain Delay Compensation NOW please!

Hey Avid.

PLS fix this issue. It's utterly unfathomable that it hasn't already been remedied.

All work-arounds are unmusical, time-consuming, inefficient and stop-gap.

This simple fix would make PT significantly better - and, might I add, open up fresh/under-utilised areas of the market (ie., in electronic music production, specifically). Kill two birds?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:40 PM

Ignorance is bliss so I'm afraid to look. I have a few tracks with side chain compression using Avid's dyn3. Got a kick slightly ducking the bass. Got a vocal slightly ducking the heavy guitars. Got a spoken vocal slightly ducking a held vocal note.

Are you saying the ducking is late?

Session is 44k/24 fwiw. PT 12.7 vanilla. OS 10.12.3.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Ignorance is bliss so I'm afraid to look. I have a few tracks with side chain compression using Avid's dyn3. Got a kick slightly ducking the bass. Got a vocal slightly ducking the heavy guitars. Got a spoken vocal slightly ducking a held vocal note.

Are you saying the ducking is late?

Session is 44k/24 fwiw. PT 12.7 vanilla. OS 10.12.3.
yes the side chain will be late. how much will depend on exactly where the two tracks are in relation to each other in the hierarchy of delay. you can test it by soloing the trigger track and track thats being ducked and pressing side chain listen (not all plugs have this feature). if youve ever wondered why it doesnt sound quite right, heres yr reason.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:32 AM

I always just assumed this was a HD only feature, not a feature that simply doesn't exist. What is life.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 03-05-2017, 09:47 AM

+1

Erratic, inconsistent, unpredictable timing behaviour on side chain inputs. Needs considerable improvement before it can be deemed trustworthy.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
I always just assumed this was a HD only feature, not a feature that simply doesn't exist. What is life.
It is an HDX-only feature. They say it requires hardware, but I beg to disagree -- it's a software feature and should be available for all users. Maybe some day...
Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It is an HDX-only feature. They say it requires hardware, but I beg to disagree -- it's a software feature and should be available for all users. Maybe some day...
hmm yeah hardware is required for that, but not to compensate for audio tracks, auxes, physical outputs hey? id like to hear their technical explanation for that.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:28 AM

I'm wondering if a moderator could please explain a use for a non-delay compensated side chain.
For me, having this is MUCH worse than having no side chain at all. I simply stopped using them.
It's one of those features where you think that you must be crazy because a mix that sounded good an hour ago, suddenly sounds different. You spend hours trying to track down the problem, changing eq, flipping phase, ruining your hard work only to finally realize that the side chains that you have used all over your session are now firing out of time.
It's actually kind of cruel.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
I'm wondering if a moderator could please explain a use for a non-delay compensated side chain.
For me, having this is MUCH worse than having no side chain at all. I simply stopped using them.
It's one of those features where you think that you must be crazy because a mix that sounded good an hour ago, suddenly sounds different. You spend hours trying to track down the problem, changing eq, flipping phase, ruining your hard work only to finally realize that the side chains that you have used all over your session are now firing out of time.
It's actually kind of cruel.
exactly. the fact that this is not made clear to users is indecent. i also wasted hours before i finally realised what was going on. id have cottoned on much sooner but i thought it was so absurd that Avid wouldn't delay compensate the side chains that i must have been doing something wrong.
its really quite an embarrassing situation for them. or at least it SHOULD be.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:11 AM

I'd go one further and say - why isn't it possible by now to make the whole delay compensation thing completely invisible to the user? Most times I don't care how much the system is "delayed", or "advanced", or whichever way round it is, I just want to know the system is working as it should. Should there be any reason to need the option to turn the delay compensation off, if the system is working as it should?