Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Default Energy saver settings on Macbook Pro

Hey all

So under 'energy savings' on my Macbook Pro there's an option that says Graphics: Better battery life or Higher performance.

Is this the same as changing the processor performance to 'highest' on the Powermac G5?

I'm only confused because it says nothing about processor performance on my macbook pro but only 'Graphics'.

Should I set this option to 'Higher Performance' when running Pro Tools?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Energy saver settings on Macbook Pro

I’m not 100% on this, but I don’t believe it is going to affect Pro Tools at all. I’m guessing you have a Macbook Pro that has a dedicated video card. The option you are referring to is choosing between the onboard video and the dedicated card. Either options is much more processing power than Pro Tools needs. That said, the onboard video steals from your system memory, so you’d have slightly more ram if you chose the dedicated card (Higher performance).
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Energy saver settings on Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckthisplace View Post
Hey all

So under 'energy savings' on my Macbook Pro there's an option that says Graphics: Better battery life or Higher performance.

Is this the same as changing the processor performance to 'highest' on the Powermac G5?

I'm only confused because it says nothing about processor performance on my macbook pro but only 'Graphics'.

Should I set this option to 'Higher Performance' when running Pro Tools?

Thanks
It won't affect pro tools much at all. I am not sure if you are aware, but your macbook pro has 2 graphics cards, the onboard Nvidea 9400 and a dedicated graphics card. When you switch to the higher performance setting, it forces you to log out and then logs you back in utilizing the dedicated graphics card......and using more battery. Keep it on the better battery life unless you are editing video or gaming.

J