Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Default Will Avid Omni work as fully-featured AD/DA converter with HD1 card

Hi there,

I just got Omni as a part of a trade deal for some other gear after hearing it over at a friend's place. The sound seemed so stunning that I traded before asking around if Omni can in fact be used as AD/DA converter in standalone mode (without any Avid / Digidesign HD cards) in concert with my RMEHDSP 9652 PCI card.

I have found out just now, searching both here and at Gearslutz, that it most likely requires at least HD1 core card to be able to perform both sides of conversion simultaneously. Could anyone advise? I am using computers on all platforms but would like to use my Win 7 PC and Nuendo software with Omni.

Thank you guys in advance!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Will Avid Omni work as fully-featured AD/DA converter with HD1 card

To really be able to use it, it needs to be hooked up to an HD TDM core card (as you mentioned) or an HD Native card, or HDX card.

As far as being able to function as a standalone converter, it doesn't really have that mode officially, but it can be set to do that function with its mixer function.

However, it will only do one or the other at one time, and it's very limited. There's no way to set it to both A/D and D/A simultaneously. You can set it to receive 2 channels of digital input (via Spidf Coax, Spidf Optical, AES, or ADAT), and come out of the analog monitor section, basically functioning as a monitor controller with really good D/A conversion. Or, you can have 2 channels of the analog inputs (such as the 2 preamps) come out of 2 channels of the digital output (which is also controlled by the monitor section. You would need to turn the volume up close to full to have actual line level out from the Digital outs).

And you can only do one or the other of these at a time.

On top of that, in order to configure it this way, it needs to be hooked up to the aforementioned HD cards. It will then retain this setting in a standalone mode. So theoretically, you could go to someone with an HD system (with Protools 8.5 or higher) and configure it.

To make a long story short, it is not worth the trouble to do this, because it's very limited.

If you're not going to primarily use it as your main interface hooked up to a card, there are better and more flexible options for standalone converters that you can look into.

Having said all that, you could use it with an HD Native card as your main interface (with Nuendo), but you could not use your RME in conjunction with it.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Default Will Avid Omni work as fully-featured AD/DA converter with HD1 card

And since you mention HD1, be aware that the last version of Pro Tools that supports those HD/TDM cards is Pro Tools HD 10. And I would be concerned for ongoing driver support for other DAWs moving forward.

None of this really makes sense, the Omni is nice in a HD system but not at all what I would get as a stand alone converter.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 AM

Thank you so much for a great and detailed answer! So, though with many limitations, I could be using Omni even before I purchase any of HD cards you mention.

I'll simply take Omni to a friend with PT HD 10 and have him configure it in its mixer as 2 channel AD with Omni's digital outs connected to my RME's digital inputs. I hope I got that right? What you're saying is that essentially I'd get a similar functionality as with my API A2D?
http://www.apiaudio.com/a2d.html

Additionally, I believe that good people at Avid also created a "switch" that allows for changing Omni to function as a DA in standalone mode?

Thank you so much for sharing!
Cheers
Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And since you mention HD1, be aware that the last version of Pro Tools that supports those HD/TDM cards is Pro Tools HD 10. And I would be concerned for ongoing driver support for other DAWs moving forward.

None of this really makes sense, the Omni is nice in a HD system but not at all what I would get as a stand alone converter.
Thank you for your kind replay. I find Omni's converters (esp AD side) to be really the best sounding I've ever heard. Initially, because I got them traded for 1/2 of their retail price, I am quite happy to use them even as just AD or DA. Speaking of which, and you seem to know your stuff, is there another great 2 X AD option you'd suggest at $1500 value? Thanks so much in advance.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Benchmark make some great stuff. Lots of other choices out there, it depends a lot on your whole rig and what you are trying to do.

The Omni is nice if you are really using Pro Tools HD and just need it or want to sit it alongside a HD/IO.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
To really be able to use it, it needs to be hooked up to an HD TDM core card (as you mentioned) or an HD Native card, or HDX card.

As far as being able to function as a standalone converter, it doesn't really have that mode officially, but it can be set to do that function with its mixer function.

However, it will only do one or the other at one time, and it's very limited. There's no way to set it to both A/D and D/A simultaneously. You can set it to receive 2 channels of digital input (via Spidf Coax, Spidf Optical, AES, or ADAT), and come out of the analog monitor section, basically functioning as a monitor controller with really good D/A conversion. Or, you can have 2 channels of the analog inputs (such as the 2 preamps) come out of 2 channels of the digital output (which is also controlled by the monitor section. You would need to turn the volume up close to full to have actual line level out from the Digital outs).

And you can only do one or the other of these at a time.

On top of that, in order to configure it this way, it needs to be hooked up to the aforementioned HD cards. It will then retain this setting in a standalone mode. So theoretically, you could go to someone with an HD system (with Protools 8.5 or higher) and configure it.

To make a long story short, it is not worth the trouble to do this, because it's very limited.

If you're not going to primarily use it as your main interface hooked up to a card, there are better and more flexible options for standalone converters that you can look into.

Having said all that, you could use it with an HD Native card as your main interface (with Nuendo), but you could not use your RME in conjunction with it.
The forum admin decided to keep my answer to you, so I'll try again. First off, thank you so much for your kind and detailed post. I may have another question or two so I'll post a bit later if admin allows...Cheers!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Benchmark make some great stuff. Lots of other choices out there, it depends a lot on your whole rig and what you are trying to do.

The Omni is nice if you are really using Pro Tools HD and just need it or want to sit it alongside a HD/IO.
Awesome! I'll definitely check out Benchmark against Omni. A buddy of mine owns Benchmark AD1 I think. It's a black USB version that I don't know how recent tha model is. I'll post back with my impressions. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post

Thank you so much, nst7!

So, though with many limitations, I could be using Omni even before I purchase any of HD cards you mention.

I'll simply take Omni to a friend with PT HD 10 and have him configure it in its mixer as 2 channel AD with Omni's digital outs connected to my RME's digital inputs. I hope I got that right? What you're saying is that essentially I'd get a similar functionality as with my API A2D?
http://www.apiaudio.com/a2d.html

Additionally, I believe that good people at Avid also created a "switch" that allows for changing Omni to function as a DA in standalone mode?

Thank you so much for sharing!
Cheers
Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 AM

There is no such switch. It's a matter of configuring the mixer setup.

Basically, yes, it will function like your A2D. If you're going to just keep it in that mode, then this could be a viable solution.

I'll give instructions later on, I don't want to type it all on my Iphone.

If you take it to your friend, make sure he has an actual HD card to hook it up to. Having the HD software by itself won't help you. I mention this because some people have just the HD software without the hardware.