How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins

Old 05-31-2014, 12:32 PM

Default Re: SSL waves native

Quote:
Originally Posted by demodigi View Post
You may add Native instruments (made by Softube) option to the dance : Solid mix series

I tried Waves (years ago) and IK White and British channels, McDSP channel G and NI recently. I never tried UAD nor SSL versions though.

Waves (SSL4000) is really great and have 2 modes (Analog and digital). I really liked the analog mode because, if you put too much gain in a EQ-band, you can quickly hear it adds too much distorsion to the sound and revert back to a wiser gain. And yes, it is punchy. It's very easy to get a good result with the EQs.

Apart from Waves, I prefered IK's channelstrip because I found them really efficient (but maybe more "cliché")and have 2 curve options (B curve) and 2 really distinctive "colours" :
- I am not 100% sure but the Black channel is an emulation of SSL4k channelstrip (more vintage tone)
- while White channel has a more modern/silky tone (SSL9k ?).
- also the Bus compression is a good one too (with MS option) and Neve emulations are also great (both comp and EQs).

NI has a different colour (more silky). Not really convinced by the EQ (as an emulation), but it does the job (more common/precise EQ to my opinion). It also has E and G curve modes. Though, the bus comp is my favorite one (especially with the option to mix the dry & comped signals)

McDSP Channel G is really cool if you want a good channelstrip and different colors (SSL E, Neve, API, etc) for comp & EQs. Very versatile tool but not pretend to be a close emulation.
I have the NI SSL solid series bundle and thought it was okay until I got the IK Multimedia stuff. The NI SSL bus comp sucks the life out of my mixes (Softube messed up with this big time - that's who does NI's plugins for the most part) . Not so with anything from IK.

QAPLA!
Old 05-31-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I have the NI SSL solid series bundle and thought it was okay until I got the IK Multimedia stuff. The NI SSL bus comp sucks the life out of my mixes (Softube messed up with this big time - that's who does NI's plugins for the most part) . Not so with anything from IK.
I don't think softube did the NI ssl stuff and the ones they did do (la2a, 1176, dbx160, vari mu, massive passive, the other eq there and the lex reverb emu's) are all great. Even still, I like the solid bus comp on a drum bus and use it often. That vari mu is also great if you need to push drums back in a mix and also on guitars.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
I don't think softube did the NI ssl stuff and the ones they did do (la2a, 1176, dbx160, vari mu, massive passive, the other eq there and the lex reverb emu's) are all great. Even still, I like the solid bus comp on a drum bus and use it often. That vari mu is also great if you need to push drums back in a mix and also on guitars.
NI doesn't do their own fx plugin development for these biggies - the Solid Series WAS done by Softube when the 3 fx were removed from Guitar Rig and are now running as standalone outside GR5.

QAPLA!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
NI doesn't do their own fx plugin development for these biggies - the Solid Series WAS done by Softube when the 3 fx were removed from Guitar Rig and are now running as standalone outside GR5.
Do you have a source? Because I did a search to find out if softube did the solid mix series and everything I could find says no.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:49 PM

Don't forget about Solid State Logic own plugins. The best in my opinion.

http://store.solidstatelogic.com/cat...ative-plug-ins
Old 06-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I'm not a pro but I never liked the waves SSL eq.
+1 I agree!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Do you have a source? Because I did a search to find out if softube did the solid mix series and everything I could find says no.
And your source is?

QAPLA!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
And your source is?
I'm not 100% sure about this and I can admit that. You seem adamant so I assumed you knew for sure. All I can see is that the NI plugins done by softube have the softube logo. Most likely a win win for both companies. I know softube develops for different vendors like the abbey road etc. I also understand NI uses outside developers but there is no evidence I can find that softube did the solid mix series and also the transient master, driver, supercharger.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
All I can see is that the NI plugins done by softube have the softube logo.

Seems like they would legally have to have that
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:15 AM

I love 'em. Used the G channel all over the place on Arsenio. Just wish there was a graphic representation of the EQ--I've gotten kind of lazy about that.
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest