Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 02:56 PM

Default Recording MIDI issues instrument track

ANYONE HELP ME!!!!

I cant get the midi data to record notes in an instrument track with rewire for ableton PUSH.

I am trying to record MIDI data to an instrument track played through my ABLETON PUSH. I am running Ableton Live. Easiest way is to say what i have done. I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 10:

Step One: Open Pro Tools | First

Step Two: Create New Session

Step Three: Create New STEREO INSTRUMENT TRACK

Step Four: Instantiate The Ableton Live Rewire Instrument in the track Insert

Step Five: In pro tools rewire instrument window, rewire's output to master L/R

(At this point, the PTF help section says that i should activate a "MIDI thru" option in the options menu. There is no option there to check. Again i'm running pro tools first V12.8.2. This is the only thing that I don't understand. Anyway I shall continue)

Step Six: Open Ableton Live (which opens in slave mode)

Step Seven: Turn on Push

Step Seven B: Load MIDI track in Ableton Live (bass instrument)

Step Eight: Set that track output to Rewire out and Master L/R

Step Nine: Back In pro tools, activate the bass instrument on the instrument track,

I can now hear the instrument, play notes on the push and have it register on the master volume. WHERE IT DOES NOT REGISTER is in the MIDI VOLOUME BAR underneath where the instrument tab is to activate the bass that i selected! UNLESS! i push the keyboard buttons or maunally write in notes in the MIDI editor. But I still cant record after all is done)

Step 10: Arm the instrument track (record enable it)

Step 11: Press record (which is in normal record mode)

Step 12: press play and try to record stuff.....

WHAT HAPPENS???

everything acts like its recording, I can hear everything. But it doesnt record any of the MIDI data. Just creates a MIDI event box with nothing in it.

You should know that once at like 3 AM a couple nights ago i got it to work and then stupidly didnt save. and tried to close and open again to replicate it and it didn't work. I think i might have clicked something IDK....

WHAT have I tried?

deleting both LIVE and PTF's preferance files in %AppData%

reinstalled Live

spent hours doing the previous steps with diferent variation.

AGAIN

WINDOWS 10, Pro Tools First 12.8.2, Ableton Push 1, Ableton Live, Focusrite Scarlette, ReWire, HP Envy (lol)
Old 01-19-2019, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Recording MIDI issues instrument track

You have to turn on the midi Controller before launching Pro Tools otherwise it won't see it.

You should try with one of the Pro Tools built in instruments (like xpand2) before using rewire to see if the controller is communicating with Pro Tools correctly