Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM

Default How full is too full for an audio hard drive?

Just wondering, how empty should you keep your audio drive? Mine was closing in on 75% and so I moved some stuff around, deleted a bunch of stuff and now I'm at 50%. I thought my hard drive being too full was why my rig was going so slow... I also thought it might be the most recent Windows Updates.. but I think it may just be that I had to uninstall PT and reinstall and something didn't quite go right.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards a reinstall now... As of this point, I'm getting Initializing Globals errors. Bah!!!

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Re: How full is too full for an audio hard drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Just wondering, how empty should you keep your audio drive? Mine was closing in on 75% and so I moved some stuff around, deleted a bunch of stuff and now I'm at 50%. I thought my hard drive being too full was why my rig was going so slow... I also thought it might be the most recent Windows Updates.. but I think it may just be that I had to uninstall PT and reinstall and something didn't quite go right.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards a reinstall now... As of this point, I'm getting Initializing Globals errors. Bah!!!

my rule of thumb is to never have less than 30% empty space on a drive. i typically try to stay at about 40-50% available. it will severly bog down your system and cause errors.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 PM

For your system drive at 50% is really not bad. What's more important though is how fragmented it is. Do you defrag on a regular basis? You should and if you don't it's never too late to start. Audio drives again at 50% shouldn't be a big deal, but if you have a little spare time it's always good to do a little spring cleaning with the drives. Before you go into the reinstall unless you're having major trouble, try defraging the system drive to see if it will help. To do it: Right click My Computer, select Manage and select defrag. It may take a while so have a coffee break or dinner etc. Remember to set the computer to never go to sleep but I assume it's already like that since you're running PT. EDIT: BTW you mention about windows updates. Do you have your computer set to let it download windows updated automatically? If so, you should turn that off as that may part of your problem. On a PT rig you should never have windows updates turned on.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 PM

And remember the best way to defrag an audio drive is, (after backup), transfer all files to another drive... then reformat the audio drive... then transfer the files back to the clean drive.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
my rule of thumb is to never have less than 30% empty space on a drive. i typically try to stay at about 40-50% available. it will severly bog down your system and cause errors.
+1

I have a routine where I partition, say, a 500 G drive to use only 400. I simply leave some unallocated. And then I still leave mucho space in the audio partition , like 1/3 or so.

Haven´t had much (audio) drive probs this way. But still, drives DO die sooner or later. Got one Free Agent in warranty as we speak.

I don´t know whether this is "unallocated space trick" is "officially" a good practise or not but my drives have generally behaved well for years. The breakage percentage has gone down quite a bit.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
And remember the best way to defrag an audio drive is, (after backup), transfer all files to another drive... then reformat the audio drive... then transfer the files back to the clean drive.
Actually I never defrag an audio drive cause by the time it gets filled up, I'll back it up to other places and only copy the sessions I need at hand back to the main audio drive. This is only a way that I work though. I specifically have a work drive for PT and once it starts to fill up with sessions that are done, I take them off.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
Actually I never defrag an audio drive cause by the time it gets filled up, I'll back it up to other places and only copy the sessions I need at hand back to the main audio drive. This is only a way that I work though. I specifically have a work drive for PT and once it starts to fill up with sessions that are done, I take them off.
I agree, it's a good idea to archive offline.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 PM

Damn I love DUC. Great suggestions everyone, thanks so much!

I like the offline idea, keeping only live projects on the PT drive.

I'll definitely defrag all my drives, for my PT drive, I'll do what Tom suggested and move all my files, defrag, then move back.

I'm factory imaging my computer as we speak.

It seems like creating the perfect PT environment is really an Art & Science.

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
+1 on this method... I do the same. After a couple bands I will put easy band in a contain zip(no compression), label w/date and put it on my external.. And also back it up on DVDs. Then format the audio drive. And copy any current sessions back or leave it blank for new clients.