Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-25-2019, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Using VEP6 with two Macs to offload CPU ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ivan View Post
Hi folks,
I am new on here and looking for some advice and I hope you can help me.

I have read about people operating on two computers and using VEP6 to host plugins in order to offload CPU.
I am hoping to be able to do this in order to create much larger Pro Tools templates and have more active plugins without the computer saying "no".

My home studio has the following equipment and I am hoping for ideas on how best to set this up to utilise the system to its full potential:

iMac 27" (Late 2012)
Mojave 10.14.2
3.4GHz Intel Core i7
32Gb RAM 1600 MHz DDR3
3TB Hard Drive

Macbook Pro 15" (Mid 2010)
El Captain 10.11.6
2.53GHz Intel Core i5
8Gb RAM 1067MHz DDR3
500Gb Hard Drive

Seagate 2TB External Hard Drive

Pro Tools 12.7.1

Digidesign 003 Console

NI Komplete Ultimate 16.2.5
Komplete Kontrol 88

EWQL Composer Cloud

Vast amount of Waves plugins along with various others

I would really appreciate some advice on whit computer should be the main computer and where certain plugins should be installed etc.
Am I correct in saying that I would need a Steinberg key on both machines for the VEP6 licence but I can have just one iLok with all licences on it linked to both computers?

Thank you.
James.
Bit late to this but I think you need to ask if this actually worth doing. The MacBook Pro is VERY under-spec’d for running as a VE Pro server. I tried using a 2013 MBP with 16GB RAM and a quad core i7. It ran out of CPU (and RAM) very quickly and the fans ran VERY loud. 8GB is tiny for most modern sample libraries and if your i5 doesn’t have a SSD then that’s going to be another bottleneck.

It’s dependent on what libraries you intend using of course but if your template is going to be anything other than very small and undemanding of CPU and disk resources, you may well be disappointed with the results from your MBP.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Bit late to this but I think you need to ask if this actually worth doing. The MacBook Pro is VERY under-spec’d for running as a VE Pro server. I tried using a 2013 MBP with 16GB RAM and a quad core i7. It ran out of CPU (and RAM) very quickly and the fans ran VERY loud. 8GB is tiny for most modern sample libraries and if your i5 doesn’t have a SSD then that’s going to be another bottleneck.

It’s dependent on what libraries you intend using of course but if your template is going to be anything other than very small and undemanding of CPU and disk resources, you may well be disappointed with the results from your MBP.
The system drive in the MBP can be swapped out for an ssd if necessary. Also the optical drive should be able to be swapped out to an ssd. Unfortunately that model MBP can only take a max of 8 gig. With ssd's that should be plenty and a server really doesn't need a whole heck of a lot of horsepower.

I think it's doable if done right.

QAPLA!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post

This thought had crossed my mind.
However, I am sure that 8Gb is enough to run some Play plugins??

My thinking is; I would like to incorporate VEP into my workflow anyway so I may as well try this set up and, if I don't feel it is making much difference, I will have to look at getting a more powerful server machine.
However, I don't want to fork out for that unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The system drive in the MBP can be swapped out for an ssd if necessary. Also the optical drive should be able to be swapped out to an ssd. Unfortunately that model MBP can only take a max of 8 gig. With ssd's that should be plenty and a server really doesn't need a whole heck of a lot of horsepower.

I think it's doable if done right.
Yes, I would probably experiment with this option before splashing out on a whole new computer.
How much roughly would you be talking to swap these out?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, I would probably experiment with this option before splashing out on a whole new computer.
How much roughly would you be talking to swap these out?
Take a look at this page and it will give you an idea of cost (you'll have to adjust for exchange rate): https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/...cbook-pro/2010

I give you the link for this site as it's one a lot of people here use. There are other ssd's out there and I'd suggest taking a look at the Samsung ssd webpage for another source. Good thing with the OWC site is the how-to videos.

QAPLA!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Take a look at this page and it will give you an idea of cost (you'll have to adjust for exchange rate): https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/...cbook-pro/2010

I give you the link for this site as it's one a lot of people here use. There are other ssd's out there and I'd suggest taking a look at the Samsung ssd webpage for another source. Good thing with the OWC site is the how-to videos.
I'll check that out thanks!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Checked this out.
Videos are very helpful.
Found this on Amazon cheaper:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0784SLQ...373&th=1&psc=1

I don't think I would need more than 500Gb for only running VEP and all the EWQL stuff??
Old 02-25-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Checked this out.
Videos are very helpful.
Found this on Amazon cheaper:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0784SLQ...373&th=1&psc=1

I don't think I would need more than 500Gb for only running VEP and all the EWQL stuff??
Do NOT short yourself on drive space, especially considering you're going through the trouble pg opening up the MBP case. Get as large as you can afford especially if you're putting samples on it. Go at least 1 TB. And make sure the drive will fit in your MBP. I run a 4 TB 7200 rpm spinner for my samples and that's almost half full. You never want to completely fill up any type of disk drive - you always want to leave space. A good figure used to be to leave 20% free. Keep in mid that some installers need more space for doing the install than the finished installation takes up.

Take a look at what all the stuff you'll be getting from EW will take up space-wise. Let's put it this way - if you download the whole Composer Cloud they recommend doing the download overnight - that's how long it takes because it's HUGE

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 02-26-2019 at 04:09 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 02-25-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Do NOT short yourself on drive space, especially considering you're going through the trouble pg opening up the MBP case. Get as large as you can afford especially if you're putting samples on it. Go at least 1 TB. And make sure the drive will fit in your MBP. I run a 4 TB 7200 rpm spinner for my samples and that's almost half full. You never want to completely fill up any type of disk drive - you always want to leave space. A good figure used to be to leave 20% free. Keep in mid that some installers need more space for doing the install than the finished installation takes up.

Take a look at what all the stuff you'll be getting from EW will tkae up space-wise. Let's put it this way - if you download the whole Composer Cloud they recommend doing the download overnight - that's how long it takes because it's HUGE
Okay, I will check out how big the MBP can go.
May look into seeing if I can upgrade the iMac also...
Old 03-11-2019, 02:01 PM

So I did some digging into getting a custom built PC.
If I go down this route I would just sell the iMac and MBP.

The spec I got for the PC are:

Operating System : 1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 BIT
Monitor #2 : 1 x 24" HD LED Widescreen Monitor - Black - 1ms - 1920x1080 - VGA/DVI/HDMI
Power Cable : 1 x 1 x 1.8 Metre UK Mains Power Cable
Computer Case : 1 x Black ATX Silent - Ultra Quiet (Sound Proofing Included) - Built In Card Reader
Graphics Card #1 : 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - 1 GB - (PCI-E) (Silent Cooling) - VGA/DVI/HDMI - HD - Supports 2 Monitors
Wireless Networking : 1 x Wireless Network Card 300Mbps (PCI-E)
Keyboards : 1 x Logitech (MK120) Keyboard & Mouse - (USB)
Power Supply : 1 x Corsair RMx 550W Gold (Modular) PSU - Low Noise / Silent
Storage Drive #1 : 1 x 1 TB ADATA SSD SATA-III, Read 560MB/s, Write 520MB/s - Silent
: 1 x Not Included - Original Packing Not Wanted
Warranty : 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return)
Delivery Time Slot : 1 x Express Delivery - Before 6:00 PM
Delivery Service : 1 x FREE - UK FedEx Delivery
Memory : 1 x 128GB 2400MHz (8x16GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR4)
Motherboard : 1 x Asus TUF MARK 2 (Intel X299) - 6xUSB3.1/4xUSB2/RGB
CPU : 1 x Intel i9 - 9820X Extreme 10 x 3.3 GHZ - Turbo 10 x 4.1 GHZ)
Wired Networking : 1 x Motherboard Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
Sound Card : 1 x Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
CPU Cooling : 1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 12 - Low Noise
Monitor #1 : 1 x 24" HD LED Widescreen Monitor - Black - 1ms - 1920x1080 - VGA/DVI/HDMI
Storage Drive #2 : 1 x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, Read 3400MB/s, Write 2500MB/s - Silent

I also aseed them to build the new Waves SuperServer to spec (which is $1999 fromantic Waves)

Computer Case : 1 x 19" 2U Rack Mount Case - 390 MM
CPU Compound : 1 x Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
Storage Drive #2 : 1 x 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
Graphics Card : 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - 1 GB - (PCI-E) (Silent Cooling) - VGA/DVI/HDMI - HD - Supports 2 Monitors
Power Supply : 1 x Corsair 550W PSU - Low Noise
Power Cable : 1 x 1 x 1.8 Metre UK Mains Power Cable
Storage Drive #1 : 1 x 480GB SSD SATA-III, Read 550MB/s, Write 500MB/s - Silent
CPU : 1 x Intel i7 8700 - (6 x 3.2 GHZ - Turbo 6 x 4.6 GHZ) - Coffee Lake
Delivery Service : 1 x FREE - UK FedEx Delivery
Delivery Time Slot : 1 x Express Delivery - Before 6:00 PM
Warranty : 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return)
Motherboard : 1 x Asus PRIME H310M-K (Intel H310) - 4xUSB 3.1/6xUSB 2.0
Memory : 1 x 16GB 2666MHz (1x16GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR4)
Sound Card : 1 x Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
Wired Networking : 1 x Motherboard Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
CPU Cooling : 1 x Deep Cool Standard CPU Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise

Less than half the price to get it built than buy from Waves.

Do you think these two machines running together with the help ethernet setup using VEP7 etc will be more than enough for what I am looking for?