Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Default multiple M-Audio (and DigiDesign) interfaces on the same computer

Hello
I own an M-Audio FireWire 410.
Somebody told me that you cannot have that as well as an Mbox because it would require having both M-Powered and LE installed. Is this true?
Could I get around that if I installed LE on a new user and switched between users to use either LE with the Mbox or M-Powered with the 410?

The other question I had is whether it is possible to have two M-Audio interfaces installed on the same computer. I ask because I am considering buying an M-Audio Transit to have something very small for when I don't need to record any microphones... Often when I do live sound I like to record the feed from the board and having the transit would make my bag lighter and my setup easier (no firewire)

thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 AM

Default Re: multiple M-Audio (and DigiDesign) interfaces on the same computer

You can install M-Powered with LE and it will work and is supported by Digidesign. Trick is that you must install the exact same version numbers together.

(So if you've already installed a cs patch for the one on your machine, you must uninstall Pro Tools completely and install just Pro Tools LE and M-powered and then update each one to their cs patches in order. They Share components and if you uninstall or modify one it will effect the other).

Yes, you can have 2 m-audio interfaces (or Digi) installed on the same computer that's fine. In Pro Tools you can choose from Setup > Hardware, which interface you want to use. Or just temporarily turn one off but leaving it connected so you can use the one you want. But they won't combine I/O's inside of Pro Tools or anything crazy like that. Only the Delta 1010's can do that to my understanding.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM

I am not looking to combine I/O, I am just looking to travel lighter without having to reinstall PT everytime I change interface...

I don't think I am gonna try the Mbox thing because it would mean re-installing all the plug ins, but I might get the transit and follow your suggestion.
This is officially supported right?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:50 PM

Both MP and LE share the same plugin folder so unless you're saving space
from installing new plugins,there are no worries over having to re-install
every plugin you have.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 AM

So having the 410 anf the Transit will definitely work and is the easiest and least involved/complicated thing to do (no re-installations etc) and will work right away, correct?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnyc View Post
So having the 410 and the Transit will definitely work and is the easiest and least involved/complicated thing to do (no re-installations etc) and will work right away, correct?
Yes you would be good to go. You would just select which interface
to use in the hardware setup. You would get those "Your I/O have changed"
messages every time you boot with a different interface, but that would
be nothing major. You will have no problems using the two interfaces.