Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2021, 02:38 PM

Default Probably a simple oversight.....

I recently plugged in my Mackie Onyx interface and tested it out first on Zoom --works fine--then, on PT.

I tried recording onto a stereo track and the wave form shows up (as well as the audio output) on only the LEFT channel. I can pan this signal to the RIGHT channel; however, I thought I was creating a stereo track i.e. both LEFT and RIGHT channels simultaneously.

Besides a few brain cells, what am I missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stereo-Mono_2021-01-22 143525.jpg (47.9 KB, 0 views)
RAM: 32Gb (31.8 usable)
Windows 10 Home x64
Running PT 2020.9.1
Old 01-22-2021, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Probably a simple oversight.....

Its down to the source verses the track. Sounds like you are trying to record a MONO source(sound) onto a STEREO track and that's not how it works. Record a mono source to a mono track. Some examples of a mono source are; a vocal, bass guitar, fiddle, banjo, saxophone, etc. Very few sources are actually stereo(like most modern keyboard instruments). And then, there are sources that often get recorded with multiple mics, but they might not always be thought of as stereo(like a grand piano, Hammond organ thru a Leslie speaker or a full set of drums).

Once you understand the above, then you begin to see stereo in a different light. Think of it as a landscape where you place the individual instruments, using the pan knobs.

As usual, these are only guidelines and not rules. Plus, you can use effects, plugins and other tricks to make a mono sound fill out a stereo mix, but that's probably best looked at as its own discussion

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-22-2021, 05:24 PM

"Dave's not here."

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it was a mic I was using to test the record feature. Silly me. I forgot the most important aspect of signal separation.

I'll live.
Windows 10 Home x64
Running PT 2020.9.1
Old 01-23-2021, 08:48 AM

Old 01-23-2021, 10:30 AM

Now, perhaps you can help me solve some confusion.

I recently connected a Mackie Onyx Artist 1-2 and installed the required plugin. When I tested the audio through Zoom, I was able to hear and transmit via a connected mic during the Test Audio feature in Zoom.

When I booted up PT, I was able to hear and record audio while selecting the Artist 1-2 plugin option under hardware configuration. Still, when I opened another program, such as a media player, I could no longer hear audio. Also, when right-clicking the speaker in the task bar, I couldn't hear the audio adjusting when I increased/decreased the volume. It was not until I closed PT and rebooted that I could monito audio once again.

This was the reason (the main one) I purchased the interface because as long as I ran PT, I could not get audio out of ANY program. I thought having the interface connected would solve the issue.

Is there something more I need to do in order to monitor audio in ANY program WHILE PT remains open; or, do I need to continually change the hardware configuration each time I want to change platforms?

Geesh, this was so much simpler in the 80s.

EDIT: IDK what happened between yesterday's confusion and today's result...but, I am able to hear audio in another program WHILE PT remains open. I am going to do some more testing to be sure this is not a fluke.
Windows 10 Home x64
Running PT 2020.9.1

Last edited by josoro505; 01-23-2021 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Audio gods smiling upon me
Old 01-23-2021, 11:54 AM

Things to consider:
#1-you may be confused on some terminology. I am not aware of any "required plugin" for using the Onyx.
#2-whatever interface you use on a Windows setup does require an ASIO driver(most interface manufacturers provide this from their website)
#3-with any Windows setup, you should set Windows to use the on-board sound card as its "default playback device". That way, your interface is available to Pro Tools-only(so you don't get hardware conflicts where Windows locks out Pro Tools from controlling things like sample rate or playback buffer).

If you really need ALL sound to pass thru to your studio monitors, there are 2 simple solutions:
A-add a speaker/source selector to your setup(such as the Audient Nero, Mackie Big Knob or Presonus Monitor Station2)
B-for a tight budget, grab a mini mixer(Mackie, Alesis, Alto, Behringer). Anything that offers 2 sets of stereo inputs will do(which should be under $50) so you can patch outputs of your interface, and the computer's sound card)
Option A is a better option, but B will work just fine.

Inside Pro Tools, the Setup menu>Hardware is where you go to select the Pro Tools "Audio Engine"(the interface) so Pro Tools knows where audio signals are to pass thru(so try to have the interface turned ON when you start the computer, so Pro Tools doesn't get confused and selects the incorrect "device", such as the om-board sound card). Hope this helps

Old 01-23-2021, 01:59 PM

Yeah, Dave. I think I meant codec, not plug-in.

I guess it was because I had the interface connected before opening PT that allowed for today's "miracle." I have performed further tests and all audio is still heard in other programs while PT remains open. The Mackie ASIO is chosen in the Playback Engine under Setup and is also defaulted in Win.

It aint broke no more- dont need fixin'.

Cheers, and thanks again.
Windows 10 Home x64
Running PT 2020.9.1