Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2017, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Reverb Plugins

Room has beside rooms plates and halls too.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The Waves H-Reverb is going for $49US right now; even cheaper at Audio Deluxe $40.98 when logged in. Normally $349US.

edit for additional:
other reverbs I like and use:
Eventide UltraReverb - back up to full price after a ridiculous sale
Reverberate 2 - the fusion ir setup is lush but needs less of a send level than the normal ir's
Waves Abbey Road Plates - killer on drums and piano
Ya, I've definitely been spying that Waves site; SO many plugs like 70-80% off! I think I demoed the H-Reverb and liked it. I gotta demo all these suggestions tonight, after work.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Ya, I've definitely been spying that Waves site; SO many plugs like 70-80% off! I think I demoed the H-Reverb and liked it. I gotta demo all these suggestions tonight, after work.
A huge tip: save yourself some buck and join Audio Deluxe - they have lower prices and will accept Waves coupons & vouchers. H-Reverb can run in a number of bit level modes - there's a little symbol at the bottom right IIRC that lets you select what mode. It can be a bit of a cpu load at it's highest quality.

QAPLA!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 AM

Every try the Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven verb? That one seems really nice, def getting the demo.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiii View Post
He was asking for a reverb in the 50$ range.
Sorry, forgot that one. For that price range, anything that comes bundled with PT is just as fine. For something fancier, save some money and buy a good tool.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sorry, forgot that one. For that price range, anything that comes bundled with PT is just as fine. For something fancier, save some money and buy a good tool.
As I delve deeper into understanding reverb I have to agree with you 100%. If you look at my original post I said under 100$, it just so happened that the two mentioned are on sale for $50. There are some decent ones between 70-100. I'd be able to jump a bit above a hundo if it's really gonna boost the quality of my mixes.

How about the Fabfilter verb? All their plugs look rad, but I keep forgetting to get the demo(s). I've heard some clips and they sound great. I'm pretty sure it's over 100, but haven't checked how much.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:11 PM

Acon Reverb Solo is free, beyond simple to use, and sounds really good (to me). Might as well give it a shot. I put it on a kick recently and got the space I was looking for, as cranking up the "far mic" channel sounded too echo-ish.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:

How many different reverb plugins do you guys use on a given mix, in general?
Use whatever you happen to have in your toolbox.

In my main template I have a fair bunch lined up and ready to go; Early Reflections, a room, a chamber, a hall, a plate. (and a similar number of different delays, some of which may feed into one or more of the verbs)

I will filter and EQ, de-ess, compress, modulate, distort, saturate, gate and/or automate reverb & delays where and when appropriate.

As a rule of thumb I'd try to avoid using the same plug-in twice for different types of verb and delay but I'm confident I could do a mix with just the stock PT plug-ins.

Get all the free stuff you can get. Acon & TAL are great. Focusrite has offered some pretty cool stuff for free (if you own any of their hard ware) that is worth more than the price of a Scarlet Solo. I love my Eventide Room 2016 and Exponential Audio R2!

Get Blue Cat's PatchWork ($ 99,-) and get access to loads of (free) VST reverbs.

Waves has some pretty good deals right now; thirty bucks for Renaissance Reverb, True Verb or Manny Marroquin Reverb is a steal.

Bottom line; do not underestimate the power of the lowly DVerb...

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 PM

I'm going to download a bunch of the suggested demos after this post. I just have one more quick question:
Out of the verbs listed, how do they rank in order or CPU drain? Is there software that tests this measurement? One of the cool features on my Apollo DUO is a status bar that indicates the DSP percentage.

Oh ya.. anyone know the end date of this crazy sale Waves is putting on?

Last edited by adam79; 05-19-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
I'm going to download a bunch of the suggested demos after this post. I just have one more quick question:
Out of the verbs listed, how do they rank in order or CPU drain? Is there software that tests this measurement? One of the cool features on my Apollo DUO is a status bar that indicates the DSP percentage.

Oh ya.. anyone know the end date of this crazy sale Waves is putting on?
Last question first:
I don't mean to be a smart aleck about this but who knows? Waves has done some crazy sales before with no rhyme or reason to the end dates. Before they started this level of pricing they would have weekend sales which by definition had known start/end dates. Something interesting about this current sales from Waves is they seem to have dropped the full price on all the plugins (180 or so) in the sale. For instance H-Reverb used to have a full price of $349 and now that's down to $199 with a sale price of $49. Same kind of price drop scenario in the rest of the group.

As to cpu drain H-Reverb runs on the high side, Reverberate 2 up there, UltraReverb down low. Reverb tends to be one of the highest drains on computing power.

QAPLA!