Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 PM

Default MIDI problem: multiple track sounds, but same notes

Hey everyone, having a little issue.

I'm recording multiple MIDI tracks on Pro Tools 10 using a Yamaha Motif XF8 as my synthesizer. I've had MIDI problems before but always seem to figure out a simple enough answer, but this one has me puzzled.

I'm recording 5 MIDI tracks at once, all different sounds.
1 is piano
2 is harp
3 is cello
4 is bass
5 is acoustic guitar

I'm using all the sounds from my Motif XF8 and recording with no problem all the separate sounds into Pro Tools via 5 different channels. So my channel 1 on the keyboard is linked to channel 1 on pro tools output, so on and so forth.

When I record, playing five tracks at once, pro tools is recognizing that 5 different sounds are being played, which is good; however, pro tools is only writing the MIDI notes for the first track, the piano, channel 1, but to channels 2,3,4 and 5 it is picking up the different instruments but writing their sounds to the notes of only the first instrument.

So what I need to know is how do I have it set up to where when I am recording to MIDI on pro tools from already recorded songs on the Motif XF8, how can I have it to where my 5 different sounds from the keyboard are simultaneously recorded into pro tools under 5 different MIDI tracks with different channels? If you need further clarification of my question then just ask, I'll try to explain better. Thank you so much.