Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2019, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No-one, huh..?

If my imaginary company had one customer that spends a million and another million customers who spend a buck each... guess what, if that one customer asks for something, my imaginary company would deliver.
Unless the other million customers ask unanimously :)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Unless the other million customers ask unanimously :)
Well yea... but as it takes time to be unanimous with a group of million, the request of that one company is likely implemented before if ever that happens
Old 01-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No-one, huh..?

If my imaginary company had one customer that spends a million and another million customers who spend a buck each... guess what, if that one customer asks for something, my imaginary company would deliver.
Haha I hear what you say. Couldn't they just sell ProTools to a company that's as passionate about music as music producers are, and continue doing their own thingy for the $$$$-post guys with, let's say, AudioComposer, or something.

Apparently they earn the serious money with their other software, even Sibelius is more on point with updates then ProTools and EuCon.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 AM

PT's Mix Window is their money-making feature. It is so hardware-like it is easy to adopt and easy to develop great control surface with. If it wasn't like that AND if PT's automation wasn't so great, maybe some other DAW would be on par -- but no, as far as mixing is concerned (post-people) there is no competition.

Editing is on par with or better than any other DAW out there. I myself have no trouble editing in PT and for me and my long history, all of it kind of makes sense and besides ARA it is hard to see where the competition has edge.

Composing however, that's another story. Yes PT has MIDI, but MIDI features haven't had much love since it was first implemented in version 4 and 5 about two decades ago. Maybe when the MIDI 2.0 is released PT has a real revamp but then again I wouldn't hold my breath.

It all comes down which of the three is most important to your workflow; mixing, editing or composing. For me it is mixing.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Haha I hear what you say. Couldn't they just sell ProTools to a company that's as passionate about music as music producers are, and continue doing their own thingy for the $$$$-post guys with, let's say, AudioComposer, or something.

Apparently they earn the serious money with their other software, even Sibelius is more on point with updates then ProTools and EuCon.
Sibelius "updates" have been the dumbest thing around since the original team left. I wouldn't even call them updates (more about getting people on subscriptions -- where does that seem familiar)
Eucon has progressed a lot from where it started. And it is free (updates aren't tied to a subscription)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Eucon has progressed a lot from where it started. And it is free (updates aren't tied to a subscription)
Ssshhh...don’t give them any ideas!

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One

Last edited by JCBigler; 01-28-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:41 PM

I wouldnt hold your breath on ARA, thats WAYYY beyond thier purvue. Post guys whove got 15,000 clips, and groups NEED a way to organize this crap that is UNLIKE the way they do it now, which is from 1991. and the bugs and ADC need to be done long ago.....otherwise i'm cranking out work on this b..tch, and couldnt be happier....life is beautiful.....thanks AVID, just gimme some folders designed by some one from north america....
Old 01-28-2019, 04:01 PM

The angst is this. Opening up additional voices isn't something that costs Avid a penny. Every other DAW in existence has opened up close to a thousand tracks. It just feels like such a money grab. Also, define 'most of us'. These days I wouldn't be surprised if the Post market comprised a lot larger segment than you think, as a lot of music people may well have moved off to Nuendo, Logic, Reaper, etc... but those of us in post-production sound are still very much tied to ProTools whether we like it or not.

It feels to me like opening up voices to make ProTools simply compare to other DAWs isn't a 'feature' that I should be expected to pay for. I just paid $399 for a year of subscription and honestly the ONLY thing I even think I got for that was to able to search the plugins. Worth $400? yeah, no.

You know how Avid could make money? MPGA (Make Protools Great Again). Maybe we should make hats. Put in the features the people have been asking for for TWENTY YEARS. Make it stable. Make it so randomly my entire audio engine doesn't randomly assign all channels to various outputs, sometimes summing everything to the left channel, sometimes it's a grab bag. Make the CPU spikes stop. Folder tracks, marker improvements, folders in the region list...

Make it so people WANT to come to ProTools instead of constantly threatening to flee to the nearest other DAW. You make money when people WANT to use your software, not when they have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I really don't understand all the angst over a feature (voice packs) that effects so few customers. My understanding is that this is really just a way to differentiate the pro users that aren't paying for DSP systems but still need large track counts. I appreciate the fact that they aren't gouging every customer for a feature that most of us don't need.

Tim
Old 01-28-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
The angst is this. Opening up additional voices isn't something that costs Avid a penny. Every other DAW in existence has opened up close to a thousand tracks. It just feels like such a money grab. Also, define 'most of us'. These days I wouldn't be surprised if the Post market comprised a lot larger segment than you think, as a lot of music people may well have moved off to Nuendo, Logic, Reaper, etc... but those of us in post-production sound are still very much tied to ProTools whether we like it or not.

It feels to me like opening up voices to make ProTools simply compare to other DAWs isn't a 'feature' that I should be expected to pay for. I just paid $399 for a year of subscription and honestly the ONLY thing I even think I got for that was to able to search the plugins. Worth $400? yeah, no.

You know how Avid could make money? MPGA (Make Protools Great Again). Maybe we should make hats. Put in the features the people have been asking for for TWENTY YEARS. Make it stable. Make it so randomly my entire audio engine doesn't randomly assign all channels to various outputs, sometimes summing everything to the left channel, sometimes it's a grab bag. Make the CPU spikes stop. Folder tracks, marker improvements, folders in the region list...

Make it so people WANT to come to ProTools instead of constantly threatening to flee to the nearest other DAW. You make money when people WANT to use your software, not when they have to.
They make hats but... violet
Old 01-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post

All good points! The points here are very sober unlike those who are once again defending and making excuses for Avid. It’s either that or they are deflecting the issue with how much better Pro Tools is than other DAW’s.