Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Default Re: LE Plugin Delay Compensation (Monthly Request Pt. 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Maybe, but I cannot see those big problems in pro tools...
TD
Big problems=
Automatic delay compensation
freezing tracks (wouldn't be avail with RTAS plugins)
not being locked into digi hardware, a simple ilok authorisation would do
unlimited tracks + bus
64bit program rewritten

there's loads more but these are, I think, quite BIG problems for the world's "biggest and best" DAW.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:14 AM

ADC= yes, but really only a minute with a big session, so it is rather a good ear break as it was rewinding the tape.

Freezing tracks= I have never used this feature even in cubase/logic, though I understand that many needs this.

Lock to hardware= digi is a hardware company, so it is obvious, and although it would be nice to run tools on any soundcard, it would casue huge compatibility issues, and I guess 99% of the users would blame digi, if they bought a cheap (aka. sh*tty) card, and pt will not run perfectly on it.

64bit= I have read that many times, but all of my software engineer fellows told me that from an audio soft standpoint, there is not a real big advantage of this. I beleive them, because I am no expert on this.

unlimited track count= with complete toolkit, you've got plenty. 128 is not so limiting imho, ok, unlimited is always a promising thing
Old 10-08-2009, 04:48 AM

Let me first say that I don't want to start a Blog war or anything, just expressing views here...:

Quote:
Lock to hardware= digi is a hardware company, so it is obvious, and although it would be nice to run tools on any soundcard, it would casue huge compatibility issues, and I guess 99% of the users would blame digi, if they bought a cheap (aka. sh*tty) card, and pt will not run perfectly on it.

Protools has troubles with even the Digi hardware so I can't imagine things going much worse with third party stuff...

Quote:
unlimited track count= with complete toolkit, you've got plenty. 128 is not so limiting imho, ok, unlimited is always a promising thing

Do we really have to pay $1000 for Protools, and then add another $1000 to increase track counts, have OMF export, etc...

I just feel like I'm getting ripped off. That's all. I don't know of any other DAW that sells two different versions of LE: and at $1000 of difference...
Old 10-10-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devkerr View Post
Now that we all have a "revolutionary" guitar emulation product, how about Digi get back to a "revolutionary" recording product, which should have been correctly implemented years ago: native ADC.

Enough excuses please. Digi clearly has the programming resources to get done what they want done.

We want ADC. Yesterday.
What is sad for me (and probably many others) is that I will not see ADC in Pro Tools on my computer, which has been EOL'd (End Of Life) by Apple and now Digi. Apple, with Snow Leopard, and Digi with PT LE 8.03 and above, which will not support PPC Macs. If Digi does cave and add ADC, it will be to the next (Intel only) version.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Enough excuses please. Digi clearly has the programming resources to get done what they want done.
I'm all for 11R - seems like a great product - essentially it's just a hardware version of 11RTAS with built in DSP though.

If a vote was cast I think we'd all say please implement ADC before 11R.

It does show that they are not prioritising - if I had something stuck on my forehead I'd certainlybe moving fast to get rid of the damn thing.

It sound like a bit of BS to me in order to get people off their backs but it's not working really is it.....

If they can develop a rock mounted 11R and then add DSP capabilities for PT LE why not allow time for ADC - because it's pretty much not stamped on their foreheads is it....

I'm getting pretty tired of it my self. It's the laughing stock of the DAW world.

Last edited by barismanco123; 10-10-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barismanco123 View Post
I'm all for 11R - seems like a great product - essentially it's just a hardware version of 11RTAS with built in DSP though.

If a vote was cast I think we'd all say please implement ADC before 11R.

It does show that they are not prioritising - if I had something stuck on my forehead I'd certainlybe moving fast to get rid of the damn thing.

It sound like a bit of BS to me in order to get people off their backs but it's not working really is it.....

If they can develop a rock mounted 11R and then add DSP capabilities for PT LE why not allow time for ADC - because it's pretty much not stamped on their foreheads is it....

I'm getting pretty tired of it my self. It's the laughing stock of the DAW world.
Laughing stock, I'm sure you don't mean that, it's still the number 1 daw, but personally I planned ahead cause I know when the dust settles and Apple & E-magic corner the market this will totally change, just like they said when Apple acquired E-magic they would never dump PC, there's just to many PCs, well they were wrong huh. I currently running both PT & Logic. be prepared
Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Smile Re: LE Plugin Delay Compensation (Monthly Request Pt. 3)

Quote:
Laughing stock, I'm sure you don't mean that, it's still the number 1 daw
Unfortuantely I really do mean that - but dont forget what part of the forum I'm posting from. LE. MP.

HD is another beast.

Actually to a great majority if you explain in a regular coversation "yeah, yeah I use PTLE, it's this, it's that, it's great, great workflows" etc in my experience they turn aound and laugh because PTLE/MP doesnt have ADC! Ridiculous. (there are others features requested but non as big as this in myopinion)

When I first got into sound ADC was not in my priorities - I was spoon fed PT through university as the industry standard, which it is, but only in it's HD form, LE is extremely popular but I only got it due to needing to become used to using it so I could get used to that PT feel in the comfort of my home. I say this without trying to be a big man like I have used PTHD and never went to uni - I went to uni to learn sound and would recommend it. I got jobs through it and a career too, thanks god.

These days, thankfully, I get to use both HD and LE but I cant afford HD for home use (yet) and when I make my own music and talk about what I do in my own time amongst friends/friends of friends etc I do get a little laughed at and I COMPLETELY understand why, in this day and age all DAW's should be capable of ADC - it's digidesigns fault that we dont have it. Just like with this "new gap in the market" they see for "essentials" they "swoop" in there to grab the money by simply cutting away code from LE and watering it down. That's what they did with LE, chopped the HD code - but the problem is basically didnt plan ahead with LE and assumed that they can expect that the users will just be glad with what they've got and they can throw us a $1000 bundle now and then when in fact time has caught up and now we are swamped with options,Reaper,Logic etc and still left wondering why we dont have the basics yet they continue to add more products on to SHAKEY FOUNDATIONS which is the core that LE still hasnt got ADC and others basics but they still keep adding to the top of the pile without actually giving LE any solids. The last year on this forum as a participator has been quite radical in what I've seen in the LE side of things.
Maybe I havent articulated myself properly but I hope my point is made, I just think that digi is BS-ing us- if it was stamped on their heads they'd have put the 11R aside for LE and said"you know what let's put every thing on hold for LE and simply get this pain in the A££ ADC out the way" but no, they simply create PT for USB mic users and a hardware version of 11R - whats the deal? Notjust that but I reckon if Digi said tommorow with a vote/poll "would customers still stick with us if we dropped all further developments in PTLE until we have implemented fully LE with ADC"? I bet 99% would actually turn around and say PLEASE!!!!!!PLEASE!!!!PLEASE

Rant over for now - I'm a PT Lover thats why I care so much - i I did all mky exams and all that - I even think last christmas I was drunk and wished everyone on the DUC a merry one so please dont take me wrongly, I just wanna see ADC after years of waiting now!
Old 10-11-2009, 04:24 AM

It also makes me very sad that literraly day by day I get more and more logic sessions.
Imho the transition is slowly started, and if digi won't put out something really REMARKABLE soon, than this transition will speed up soon. I understand that hd is THE market, but if slowly many-many composers-musicians-engineers going to (for example) logic, it is only a matter of very short time, when the apple logic with apogee gear will start to eat up digis hd business.
TD
Old 10-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Yeah I agree and have seen this too.

A bit heated my post but it's actually a really big deal. It needs to be sorted, I have heard people say they'd even pay for it as a software add on but I thinkthat's too late now, it needs to be accross the board and within the next release.

I just keep dreaming.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:55 AM

This is especially true in music land - as I posted over on the HD forum recently, more and more hits are getting made (and even mixed) in Logic. Avid are slowly losing some very critical ground and unless they do a pro native (uncrippled) version of PT very soon, it's gonna be game over. By pro, I mean ADC, offline bounce, efficient VI engine, hardware independent, user definable shortcuts and all the other usual requested stuff.