Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM

Default Re: HD1 or HD Native card

Be aware that there are good dealers that will give you a discount on a new Hd system (HD Native or HDX), so you don't have to pay full retail.

With that in mind, by the time you buy the various items separately, even at used prices, you will be close to the cost of a new HD Native system, with dealer discounts.

Plus, with HD1, if you're staying Mac, you must use a Mac Pro, there are no Thunderbolt options. So that may involve getting one of those, which adds to the cost, even used. I see you have an Imac. If it's a recent model, you can use the HD Native Thunderbolt version.

And then you'd have the peace of mind of support into the future.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Default HD1 or HD Native card

Or buy a PT10 HD license on eBay and take advantage of the disk cache feature for about $800.

I've thought about getting old TDM cards to put in a second system or to just go HD Native but from all I have read on the DUC about issues with HD Native it makes me nervous.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM

I'm quite happy with 10HD software with my trusty old 003 console. I've been eying the upgrade paths and leaning toward HD/Native, but I just saw a new box today that might have me changing course. Its the Antelope Orion32. 32IO for under $3K. Gotta try one though, as the interface is USB2. Should have one for testing in the next 2 weeks, so we'll see............

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-19-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm quite happy with 10HD software with my trusty old 003 console. I've been eying the upgrade paths and leaning toward HD/Native, but I just saw a new box today that might have me changing course. Its the Antelope Orion32. 32IO for under $3K. Gotta try one though, as the interface is USB2. Should have one for testing in the next 2 weeks, so we'll see............
Interesting.... While it's not anything I need, if it really does everything it says @15W in one rack space over USB 2.0.... I'm impressed.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I just saw this. Impressive.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM

Default HD1 or HD Native card

Yeah I saw one in the mags recently

Wondered if its a nice sounding pre's and converters but what got me was

USB2.0 really -!!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Latency wise, HDN would would spank it. I liked moving to a db25 based setup but it was a pricey changeover! But if the conversion is there, that's a great price for 32 I/O.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM

i have 2 studios i work in one is my home studio PT HDaccell2 7.4 the other is my friends studio HDnative PT10 thunderbolt... i have 2 points the first one is both these systems are very powerful but HD native is limited in certain critical areas although it does beat my HD2 G5 in pure mixing power... my second point is about HD systems still having alot of life HDx is missing alot of pieces and until that gets sorted it is a bit of a wounded duck... now is a great time to get into HD it is really a great system made for professionals... with HD u have a full palette of plug ins available for a discounted price... i stay at 7.4 because it is super stable and is about as high as i can go with my current computer and keeping all the plug ins compatible... HD native is cool and can go into the future but u have to do alot of weird little some not so little workarounds... not to mention everything will be full price to keep current... pro tools HD is a very cost effective professional tool and i would highly recommend it... lastly HD1 is fine for a tracking rig but u will want at least HD2 for any kind of serious mixing also upgrade as many plug ins to TDM as possible...
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
i have 2 studios i work in one is my home studio PT HDaccell2 7.4 the other is my friends studio HDnative PT10 thunderbolt... i have 2 points the first one is both these systems are very powerful but HD native is limited in certain critical areas although it does beat my HD2 G5 in pure mixing power... my second point is about HD systems still having alot of life HDx is missing alot of pieces and until that gets sorted it is a bit of a wounded duck... now is a great time to get into HD it is really a great system made for professionals... with HD u have a full palette of plug ins available for a discounted price... i stay at 7.4 because it is super stable and is about as high as i can go with my current computer and keeping all the plug ins compatible... HD native is cool and can go into the future but u have to do alot of weird little some not so little workarounds... not to mention everything will be full price to keep current... pro tools HD is a very cost effective professional tool and i would highly recommend it... lastly HD1 is fine for a tracking rig but u will want at least HD2 for any kind of serious mixing also upgrade as many plug ins to TDM as possible...
what problems or workarounds are you have with HDN?? the differences for me are minimal. LLM on only a pair, which i dont use LLM unless i am in a mix and need to do a vox pickup or something, and then the 2 channels available is fine for me. then of course no TDM plugs, which there really is not more than a couple supported plugs left that are not native.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM

You want to be able to have your mix sound the same no matter what you need to do, tracking wise? A native system will always require you to change the sound of you mix to accommodate the needs of your tracking situation. That means that you are put in a position of having to guess whether or not the overdub that you are performing is gonna sound good in your overall mix which, incidentaly, sounds different now because your Native system has to make certain changes to itself just to play the tracks that you have already processed.