Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-04-2017, 10:00 AM

Default MIDI loses sound on instrument tracks

Does anyone know why my MIDI on instrument tracks loses the sound occasionally? I know MIDI is just instructions. I use Xpand!2 and Addictive drums to create sounds associated with the MIDI instructions. Everything functions as it is supposed to except when I save the file, shut down and restart later. When I reopen the session later the MIDI instructions are still there but the sounds associated with the instrument I assigned are gone and the track clips are see through instead of colored as they are when sounds are assigned.

I used to be able to drag the Plug-In to a different slot on the track and the sounds would magically reappear. Now that doesn't even work.

Ideas?
Old 07-04-2017, 11:54 AM

Default Re: MIDI loses sound on instrument tracks

Under the View menu, select Mix windows Shows>Instruments. This shows a row across the top of the MIX window and there will be nothing EXCEPT on Instrument tracks, where it will show a few things, most importantly, what "instrument(VI plugin) will be triggered by the midi info on that track. Make sure its A-not grey'd out. And B-assigned to the instrument plugin. Yes, its SUPPOSED to retain when you save/close/re-open. If its not saving, maybe its time to try trashing prefs and database files(which is a step for any "odd behavior", which this does sound like)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave