Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 AM

Default Play/Pause Issue Resolved - Maybe? Try This.

Okay . . . This may seem REALLY stupid, and I don't know why it came to this, but under my expanded system (with all plugs installed), where I had the problem; Understand something - My Dekstop uses XP and my Laptop uses Vista. . .

When I was having Arturia/Syncrosoft Licensing issues on my Vista Ultimate Laptop, someone suggested that I select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR while opening Pro-Tools for the problem to be alleviated.

I know this is very preliminary, but I tried the SAME THING under XP just for kicks, and you know what? . . Even with my WiFi enabled, the problem is gone COMPLETELY! I've tried this on sessions large and small. This is VERY priliminary, so I have to run more tests.

I recorded MIDI in XPand2, using my XV5080 Sound Module (via setting it up in MIDI Studio), recording some AUDIO and opening sessions which contained 25+ tracks with lots of plugs.

Why don't you guys give this a try and see if this works. If it doesn't, I apologize. However, so far; ZERO issues!

(Sorry For The Bad Grammar, I'm A Teacher/Professor during the day - I should be ashamed!)
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 04-13-2009, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Play/Pause Issue Resolved - Maybe? Try This.

Further testing. I imported sessions recorded in other studios, used plug-ins like Structure, XPand2, the stock plugs, even NI stuff like Kontakt and Battery without issue. I did all kind of edits and at most, the stop button will flash for less than a half a millisecond (not flashING, just a quick light up), but NOTHING like what I have been experiencing since using PT8 on my desktop, and I have seen THAT since the 6.1 days.

So far it looks like this has resolved this completely. Please try this yourselves for confirmation. I may just now spend all day recording. If anything changes, I will report back . .
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 AM

Okay. Reconfirming this. I've opened up Pro-Tools a total of 32 times under RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. I've loaded up different plug ins, session templates and recorded as many as 32 tracks with D-Verbs and other processor intensive plugs. I've used Vacuum, Mini Grand, Kontakt, Battery, Arturia Analog Factory with multiple instances, restarted a few times, went on the internet and did some stuff in Microsoft Office under XP.

I have not seen the error since. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this was the solution. Let's see what happens after a few days of constant recording. . .

Till Next Time . . .
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 04-13-2009, 06:43 AM

Nice detective work. Have you confirmed by opening the old way and having the problem come back?(can't say I blame you if you didn't try this).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-13-2009, 06:47 AM

Absolutely. Whenever I open this as normal, the problem comes back with a VENGEANCE. This discovery was just by chance and employed with the "everything but the kitchen sink" approach. I have to thank the guy who recommended that I open Pro-Tools LE on Vista with RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR to cure my Arturia Licensing woes!

Not that I or you all care, but I wonder why this was the case? I also wonder if doing this was overlooked on every earlier version of Pro-Tools that exhibited this phenomenon (I was introduced to this problem ONLY after upgrading to PT8). I can say however, that I'm recording with NO issues to speak of.

The question of course remains . . How long will this last. Lol.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 04-13-2009, 07:07 AM

21 Views. Anyone else try this yet? I would love confirmation so I know it's not just my system, and more so that everyone else has or could get rid of this problem. All you need to do in XP is RIGHT CLICK, select RUN AS, then choose AS ADMINISTRATOR. Then type in your ADMINISTRATIVE PASSWORD (the one you set when installing XP).

Just for more information, I'm running a Quad Core Q6660, P5k Wifi, Have PT8 cs2 and am using Windows XPSP3 with all of the latest updates and patches installed. I even have Windows Search on the desktop.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 AM

I have suggested this for other issues but not for Play/Pause. I will give it a shot as soon as the current session finishes. I do have am couple of saved sessions that always bring on this issue when N.I. plug-ins are installed, and others with specific import circumstances that always bring this on. I’ll report back on this ASAP.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 AM

Hey TOM. Thanks for taking interest in this. To test your Theory, I just opened up 5 instances of Kontakt 3 and 4 instances of Battery. No issues.

Thing is though, when you RUN as Administrator, it's a lot like Running Pro-Tools and all of your other programs for the first time. For example, if you load Kontakt in this fashion, it will ask you to rebuild the Quick Search database, which is fine by me.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 AM

I will definitely try this first chance I get, which may be this weekend. If this works, I will be one happy guy.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epu View Post
Hey TOM. Thanks for taking interest in this. To test your Theory, I just opened up 5 instances of Kontakt 3 and 4 instances of Battery. No issues.

Thing is though, when you RUN as Administrator, it's a lot like Running Pro-Tools and all of your other programs for the first time. For example, if you load Kontakt in this fashion, it will ask you to rebuild the Quick Search database, which is fine by me.
The rebuild doesn’t bother me. We need to know if this is a universal fix for this longstanding issue. So we may have to put up with a little inconvenience getting there.

… And thanks for bringing this one to the table.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com