Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Potential Buyer needs a little advice please

Hello to all..Im new here and fairly new to computer music production. Please be patient with me. My question is. I am currently looking into computer production and im at a bit of a fork in the road. Currently i do all of my production using synths, workstations, etc etc (hardware basically). Im looking into minimizing my hardware, wires, cords, and disk. Initially i was looking into Cakewalks Homestudio XL program, which appears to be a bit user friendly (being a newb to this and all). I ran across the M-Box while shopping around for Cakewalks program. Would the M-Box be a better buy? (also i have zero knowledge on how to use Midi, but i have been reading literature about it frequently). Or in my case should i stick with Cakewalks approach. I will be getting a seperate computer dedicated specifically for whatever program i get and i will basically max the computer out as much as possible so that i can have a smooth ride either way. This is my only question for now, i have a couple others but this is my main concern at the time. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Potential Buyer needs a little advice please

If you're going to buy the mBox, you will get the ProTools LE software with it, so you probably won't need Cakewalk, especially the Homestudio version, which is kind of an "LE" version anyways.

Protools is just as easy, if not easier to use than Cakewalk. Try the mBox and if you don't like PTLE, then go ahead and by the Cakewalk program. You should still be able to use the mBox hardware with it.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.