Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Default Mapping EQIII to a MIDI controller

Is it possible to map EQIII controls to my MIDI control surface? Is there a way to find out which CC parameters correspond to controls in the plugin? It's very easy with Nuendo and Cubase. I am sure it's easy with Pro Tools too, just can't work out what's the best way of doing it.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Mapping EQIII to a MIDI controller

PT 8 has a midi mapping functionality for all its plugins. Away from the studio atm, but I think it's the "learn" button or something like that.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
PT 8 has a midi mapping functionality for all its plugins. Away from the studio atm, but I think it's the "learn" button or something like that.
Glad to hear Digi plugins have a "learn" function! However, I couldn't find it... Would really appreciate it if you could help me with EQIII in particular.
Thanks!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 AM

To use the learn function, you need to specifically be using a control surface, or your MIDI controller needs to be setup as a control surface. You never mentioned which control surface you are using, so it makes it difficult for us to help you with specific instructions.

Also, check the Pro Tools Reference Guide (installed as a PDF with the software) for information and instruction (Chapter 41, specifically)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-21-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
To use the learn function, you need to specifically be using a control surface, or your MIDI controller needs to be setup as a control surface. You never mentioned which control surface you are using, so it makes it difficult for us to help you with specific instructions.

Also, check the Pro Tools Reference Guide (installed as a PDF with the software) for information and instruction (Chapter 41, specifically)
Hm... I have a bad feeling that Pro Tools only supports selected few proprietary control surfaces. I have a 24-fader Tascam US-2400 which works like a charm in Nuendo. It is based on Mackie HUI implementation and so allows me to control volume, pan and sends in PT. In Nuendo ANY parameter - including plugins and EQ can be mapped easily.

Is that yet another exclusive Pro Tools feature? I hope not.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 AM

Hey Vytis, I'm new to this forum, I also own a us-2400 and was using it with PT 7.4 .... I'm about to upgrade to PT8 but I´ve heard some bad comments about it not working in PT8 ... Can u please assure me that it works in PT8, otherwise i won't be upgrading... Thx in advance ....
Old 07-29-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patogala View Post
Hey Vytis, I'm new to this forum, I also own a us-2400 and was using it with PT 7.4 .... I'm about to upgrade to PT8 but I´ve heard some bad comments about it not working in PT8 ... Can u please assure me that it works in PT8, otherwise i won't be upgrading... Thx in advance ....
Hi,
It works fine for me in PT8.
In terms of features, it's quite basic but I guess that's the issue with PT in general. The US-2400 works like a charm with Nuendo 4 and you can also control channel EQ from the surface!