Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Problem with sustain pedal still persists on PT 8.0.3

Hi Digi !
All plug ins I have are just Digi Rack and Creative collection. So, I had nothing to remove. I am not a computer guru, so if you say " trash MIDI related preferences" what do you exactly mean ? Where do I find these ? ( I've searched all my drives, and sorry : couldn't find any). I trashed PT preferences, restarted computer, created a new blank session, inserted on a single stereo Instrument track Structure with acc grand piano. I started to record : the same result. Sustain pedal drops out during recording.
My Controller ( Yamaha MO 8) is plugged directly to MIDI in of Digi 002R. No MIDI interfaces etc. My AMS has correct configuration ( otherwise I wouldn't even have MIDI signal to begin with ! So, that's not a case !). First selected MIDI track is selected for the Default MIDI thru Instrument.
All by the book.
Unfortunately I live on an East Coast, so your tech can't come to my studio to look at the system ( I wish he did, because there is nothing out of ordinary here : single MIDI controller plugged directly to DIGI 002R. A new session with a single stereo Instrument track, and Structure plug in. That's all ! No third party plugs. Nothing ).
Chris7514
Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 PM

Hey Chris,

This is what is meant by trashing midi related prefs:

Re: General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE and HD on Mac OS X
If you are experiencing problems with MIDI in Pro Tools (or any other application) where you cannot get input or output, OR your MIDI interface is greyed out in Audio MIDI Setup, try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

Help us help you - SERIOUSLY, READ THIS!
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE Windows
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE Mac
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools M-Powered Windows
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools M-Powered Mac
Support FAQ
Old 03-18-2010, 07:18 PM

Thanks midi sordino !
I did trash these midi prefs.
I noticed that Melodyne plug is re-wire. I don't use Melodyne, and never activated it.
Which other plug-in that comes with PT installation package is also Re-Wire ?
BTW, what kind of software is, that may create MIDI sustain pedal problem merely by having re-wire plug-in in the list ? For crying out loud : we are talking about a major DAW, not some kind of third party sequencing software for pre-schoolers. Does it mean that in order to use MIDI in PT one can not have re-wire plugs ? that's a total BS !! Unacceptable.
We'll se if removing Melodyne solves the problem.
Chris7514
Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 PM

STILL THE SAME !!!
I did go through ALL of the steps listed by Digi. I Trashed all prefs, Midi prefs, etc. No re-wire plugs. Restarted computer. Launched PT. Created a blank session. Created a single stereo instrument track. Inserted Mini Grand.
I tested following scenarios :
1) In MIDI preferences > Default Thru Instrument > first selected MIDI track. ( there is only one track in the session at this point). MIDI Thru is selected. ( if I un-select MIDI Thru there is no MIDI signal coming into the track, even though the track record red button is armed).
In Instrument track input>All, output>MiniGrand 1-Channel 1
Sustain pedal drops in and out during recording, as it always did . The MIDI 64 messages are being recorded. On playback everything is fine.
2) In MIDI preferences > Default Thru Instrument > Mini Grand 1- Channel 1
In Instrument track Input> All, output > MiniGrand 1-Channel 1
3) same as 2, except in Instrument track Input> Predefined > Digi 002 Port1 > All Channels
4) same as 3, except in Port 1> Channel 1.
SO I TESTED ALL POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS OF MIDI THRU, MIDI IN, AND OUT CONFIGURATIONS, ALL POSSIBLE PREFERENCES, INSTRUMENT SETTINGS. INS, OUTS- YOU NAME IT. I also made sure that only MIDI out cable of my controller is connected to MIDI in of 002R. No MIDI cable going back to the controller, so there is no MIDI loop. I tested both cases, also with the MIDI cable running to the controller ( no difference).

THE RESULT IS ALWAYS THE SAME : SUSTAIN PEDAL DROPS IN AND OUT RANDOMLY DURING RECORDING. SUSTAIN MESSAGES 64 ARE RECORDED PROPERLY. ON THE PLAYBACK EVERYTHING IS FINE.

But as a professional pianist my MIDI performance in PT suffers due to this sustain pedal failure.
The same performance recorded in Cubase, or in Logic is fine.
Digi : WHAT SHOULD I DO ? I mean: honestly. Switch back and forth between DAW's to record MIDI, because PT prevents me to do so ?
As I said : the reason is unknown. Tried different controllers, different pedals. Still no answer.
Is it possible that my 002R is faulty ? I don't think so. I have also MOTU Midi Express. Same result.
I have also an USB controller plugged directly to iMac ( brand new i7).
My old setup with completely different computer resulted in the same behavior.
If I was just by myself on the forum experiencing this issue, I could understand that perhaps there is something bad in the binary code within my units. But I know for fact that there are many of us out there with the exact same problem. And we all are waiting for the answer from the very people who created Pro Tools protocol from scratch.
Chris7514
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM

I JUST RECORDED A PIANO MIDI TRACK IN GARAGE BAND.
PERFECT !!
NO SUSTAIN PEDAL DROP OUTS DURING RECORDING.
And guess what ? My Midi controller is connected to DIGI 002R. So the MIDI signal is coming into Garage Band from DIGI 002R, which in this case behaves as a Midi interface.
In this case I can corroborate following statement :
The problem with sustain pedal drop outs during recording MIDI tracks in Pro Tools is entirely software based.
It's NOT a hardware problem at all.
Who knows if it is even fixable ? We'll see what solution Digi comes up with.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 AM

Hey Chris,

Great that you've gone through the list of possible causes. Seems like you've been pretty thorough. Not so great that the problem is still there.

It strikes me that the proposed list of possible causes for this is pretty long. All these different potential causes as the source of a specific problem like sustain pedal dropout during record?

Be interesting to see what Digi comes back with.

P.S. Long shot: Do you have a box called '002r (port 3) control' in midi input devices. Is it checked? Uncheck it. Any impact?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 AM

No. I do not have this box. However, I do have third MIDI in and out for Digi 002R in my studio setup on a mac. Somebody mentioned having the same issue on DUC. There are only two Midi ports on Digi 002R. Why is the third listed is anybody's guess... Exactly : why ? There is no third midi port on 002R !
Old 03-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Avid

Default Re: Problem with sustain pedal still persists on PT 8.0.3 (opening from a template)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer49 View Post
It seems that opening sessions from a template is causing this issue.

I've followed all of DigiTechSupt's guidelines below, and so far no problems on any new blank session not opened from a template. Trouble is, I live and die by templates on a daily basis.
anyway Digi, i hope this info helps in getting the issue sorted. thnx!
Does this happen in a new session template, created fresh with the version of Pro Tools you're currently running?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7514 View Post
No. I do not have this box. However, I do have third MIDI in and out for Digi 002R in my studio setup on a mac. Somebody mentioned having the same issue on DUC. There are only two Midi ports on Digi 002R. Why is the third listed is anybody's guess... Exactly : why ? There is no third midi port on 002R !
Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Most likely the specific MIDI preference trashing info listed in the General Troubleshooting thread (it's in one of the replies) should fix this.

Like I said - I've heard this complaint tons of times over the years and it's always configuration or corruption issues. I'm not saying there isn't a possible bug here, but I'm pretty good at ferreting them out and I'd really be surprised if that was the case.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:38 PM

Hmm does this also happen with midi files recorded in other apps and imported into PT?
I seem to remember having issues with some I've imported in the past, but never really
tracked it down. I noticed it again the other day and this time it happened only on certain
sets of notes(chords) placed on the down beats in certain midi regions.

I'm going to go back into my session and/or start a new one and try this and confirm.
It's been a while since I've worked in PT but I just started using it again recently.

I report back if I find anything.
PT Mpowered 8.04, Logic 9.1.1
Waves SSL,Omnisphere,Korg Legacy Digital
Absynth 4, EZ Drummer
Project Mix I/O w/ Black Lion Mod
Axiom 61,25, Korg Nano Pad