Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Why change \"Scroll track into view\" in 7.2?

Ok so this is a real PITA. I just paid to have my productivity reduced. Why change the "scroll track into view" and put it into a pop up menu thereby making what was a single right click step into now what is two steps. Worst yet it's placed next to make track inactive. Make that selection by mistake and it's sure to piss many off. At the very least this should be a optional pref. I can't be the only one using this feature constantly with a control surface. Anyone figure how to get this back please let me know.

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com
Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Why change \"Scroll track into view\" in 7.2?

yeah, you're right. Wondering the same thing... I was finally jazzed that that feature was available, and now it's gone again (unless you right-click on the track etc.)
-cd
Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 PM

I believe it's because of the full implimentation of all right-click functions throughout the application.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:21 AM

If you <control><command> click on a track name in the mix window it will scroll to track in the edit window. Hopefully this will go halfway to solving your problem. Annoyingly, it doesn't seem to work if you do it in the edit window though.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
If you <control><command> click on a track name in the mix window it will scroll to track in the edit window. Hopefully this will go halfway to solving your problem. Annoyingly, it doesn't seem to work if you do it in the edit window though.
Well no that doesn't. The function "Scroll track into view" is the same. What changed was digi putting it into a pop up menu that makes you have to manually select it rather than clicking one time and having it happen.
With all the other improvements in 7.2 (great) this one still puts me on the rope about going back to 7.1. It slows my work flow tremendously.

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com
Old 08-04-2006, 04:44 PM

I'm hating this new behavior too. Please switch this back! The new functionality is good, but not at the expense of previous features. If it ain't broke......

S.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I'm hating this new behavior too. Please switch this back! The new functionality is good, but not at the expense of previous features. If it ain't broke......

S.

I know. This is a tricky one.

There are a fair amount of "pseudo-right-click" functions (actually "control-click") in legacy Pro Tools that collide with trying to implement right-click. This was one of them. At the risk of pissing you off further, the other one we'll get flack for is using "right click" to scrub when you have the selector tool selected - there was no way to keep that and still have the new right-click features on regions (have you tried that yet?).

But part of the thinking (or lack of, depending on your point of view <g>) was that we were trying to support users who didn't have right-click mice.

(FWIW, if you're on a control surface, control+the select button of the channel will still perform as it used to)

I think the only future change that would make sense would be to prohibit control-click from bringing up the right-click menu on the track name. However, we would keep the actual right-click the way it is (and perhaps we could move the "scroll to track" choice into the first menu position).

Sorry about that, folks. There were so many things in this release, something was bound to fall through the cracks. We'll have to let this sit for a while, though.

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 08-04-2006, 11:25 PM

tricky or not this new "feature" is a real bitch... if your worried about those without a right click mouse include a link to apples new mouse and a link for kensington...dont dumb it down for the stupid in my un-humble opinion. don't let this sit for to long or i will happily start mixing on the neve dfc again...
Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 PM

i like it ....... if i can turn it off........ i too want my function back
Old 08-05-2006, 06:41 AM

It's time for a vote! I vote for a preference button so that everybody can be happy. "Right Click Legacy Behavior on Track Buttons" or something.

Digi, great work. But come on. You're messing with the workflow on this one. Two steps forward and one step back is great if you're dancing, it's just not so hot in DAW software.

S.