Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-24-2017, 10:15 PM

Default Cant Get Pro Tools 12 To Get The Inputs From My Playback Engine

I have windows 8 and protools 12.5
I just got the program and I just got my audio interface, the iD4.
I installed the latest driver (started with 3.2 but then it crashed, it stopped crashing once I installed beta 3.2.2)
Then I selected the "audientAudioASIO Usb driver" as the playback engine.
The session restarts, then I go check the I/O set up and both input and output both only have one option (both named analog 1-2) and from my understanding there are supposed to be multiple input and outputs.
Because of this I cannot play any instruments or mics through pro tools. I know that the iD4 is working because I have been able to play audio through it as my default audio. Although i have tried working it with and without it being my default sound.
I have tried the trick of setting default from the input and output settings but the default is just the analog 1-2 for both.
I have spent almost three hours trying to figure this out, hopefully someone can help!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Cant Get Pro Tools 12 To Get The Inputs From My Playback Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold8 View Post
I have windows 8 and protools 12.5
I just got the program and I just got my audio interface, the iD4.
I installed the latest driver (started with 3.2 but then it crashed, it stopped crashing once I installed beta 3.2.2)
Then I selected the "audientAudioASIO Usb driver" as the playback engine.
The session restarts, then I go check the I/O set up and both input and output both only have one option (both named analog 1-2) and from my understanding there are supposed to be multiple input and outputs.
Because of this I cannot play any instruments or mics through pro tools. I know that the iD4 is working because I have been able to play audio through it as my default audio. Although i have tried working it with and without it being my default sound.
I have tried the trick of setting default from the input and output settings but the default is just the analog 1-2 for both.
I have spent almost three hours trying to figure this out, hopefully someone can help!
The interface is a a 2x2 interface.

You are seeing exactly what is expected.

The device has two inputs, 1-2 is a stereo pair, or you can access the mono halves of that pair to get to your separate DI and Mic input. On a *mono* audio track, you should see those as input options.

Open up the Pro Tools Reference guide and read about how stereo and mono IO paths work.

And if you are new to Pro Tools, you really need to find a tutorial that will work you though getting started recording audio and instrument DI, YouTube is a good source, trying to random walk you way though getting started is a recipe for frustration and failure.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:55 PM

Well that makes sense, however I have tried using both the analogue one and analogue two, and whole the interface picks up that I am saying things pro tools does not
Old 05-24-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold8 View Post
Well that makes sense, however I have tried using both the analogue one and analogue two, and whole the interface picks up that I am saying things pro tools does not
I cannot make out what you are saying. This is near incoherent and has no useful information about exactly what you are doing. What help are you expecting?

And back the the exact point I just made, start with a tutorial on getting started with pro tools. And if you are stuck then, describe what tutorial you are following and exactly what does not work.

And we need to know what exactly is connected to what (e.g. what exact mic, going via what cable/connectors to what exact input (e.g. XLR or TRS into the ID4 makes a critical difference for the Mic input), what the input gains is set to, how you are determining Pro Tools does/does not "see" a signal (Pro Tools track meters not moving? No waveform being recorded? Not hearing anything while tracking?... Are the track meters in pre-fader mode? Are you trying to monitoring through Pro Tools or the interface?). etc. And for a DI guitar or bass signal how are you hoping to hear this? Using a amp sim plugin? What exact one?

Again if this is not stuff you understand then you need to go start with a basic tutorial... or find somebody who can hand on help you get started with Pro Tools.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 PM

Lol I'm not sure if you have just had a bad night or what, but I'll just attempt to find help elsewhere.

I could have specified more of my equipment, that's fair. But dealing with whatever you have going on is a little too much for me. I appreciate the response! Though you could have left it at read the guide.
But hey, whatever makes you feel good!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:55 PM

Just go start with a tutorial, it is clear you are floundering and don't know basic stuff and likely don't know enough to describe what you are doing. That is not meant as an insult, it is meant to help you get going with as little pain as possible. Start with YouTube tutorials, doing the simplest thing you want to do, ideally recording vocals into a mic. Leave DI/instrument stuff for later. There are also lots of good paid Pro Tools tutorials on sites like Linda.com,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Just .... There are also lots of good paid Pro Tools tutorials on sites like Linda.com,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I agree. Just a correction - www.lynda.com is the address

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-25-2017, 04:43 AM

Hello bluengold8. You must remember that this sort of question gets asked many times on the forum and it can get a little frustrating for those that like to help to try and second guess what the problem might be. You can never give too much information when asking about a problem. The reference manual is something you should always refer to as Pro Tools' capabilities are many and diverse. Audacity it is not.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 05-25-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That is not meant as an insult, it is meant to help you get going with as little pain as possible. Start with YouTube tutorials, doing the simplest thing you want to do, ideally recording vocals into a mic. Leave DI/instrument stuff for later.

Yes this, I prefer YouTube b/c it's free...you might have to navigate a bit to find what you want but it is free after all.

Groove3 has a special for new subscribers and that is free as well....for a limited time...and they have really detailed videos.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.